Kirribilli Runners – Women’s Running Month Week 4

1 view

Steve Kibble

Sep 1, 2021, 9:39:14 PM9/1/21
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

Welcome to week 4 of the KR focus on Women’s running that I’ve been running during August. (Yes I know it is now September.)

This week I’ve been talking to Tegan, who had her 30th Brithday this week about her running journey and then Margriet looks at the issue of “The Bounce’ in our special health tips on women’s running.

Your name and/or running nickname?

Teg/Tegs either or  J

How long have you been running?

I’ve always loved running as it was a means of keeping fit for other sport when I was younger. My enjoyment for racing really started during a gap year in 2010 when a friend offered me a very last-minute entry to the Auckland Marathon. I think that’s also when the bug really bit, and I realised that running was something I just couldn’t ever live without.

What inspires you to keep running?

Although it sounds cheesy, I think running makes me the best version of myself. It keeps me sane, allows me to challenge myself and connect with amazing humans. It’s also really encouraging when I see improvement as it makes me realise that I’m always capable of more and doing better – no matter how small the improvements are.

What’s the coolest place you have ever run?

There are so many cool places that come to mind when I think of where I’ve had the opportunity to run over the years, but I’d have to say where I grew up in Kwa Zulu-Natal, South Africa. It’s a rural area where you can run for kilometres in forests and grassland without seeing a soul. It’s extremely hilly but full of wildlife and untouched beauty.

How do you feel at the start of a run?

Generally, when I start running, I feel heavy and tired, and it takes me a while to get going. Good conversation, company and views help me to shrug this off quickly. Also, the coffee at the end is a key motivator!

When you see another runner coming towards you, what do you do?

I’ll always try and give them a wave. If I don’t, it’s probably just because I’m in the pain cave!

What do your friends think of your running?

My friends are very supportive. My runner friends keep me inspired and non-runners help me find balance to focus on other interests (or try!).

What’s the one thing you wish you’d been told before you started running?

Don’t ever limit yourself to one race or distance. It’s certainly possible to enjoy both long and short distances and often whilst training for one you just start hitting PB’s on others.

I feel like I’ve always put myself in this square box and believed I was only suited to running longer distances at a reasonably slower constant pace. More recently I’ve realised that training to get quicker over the shorter distances not only makes you realise that you are capable of constantly improving, but it also allows you to run quicker over the longer distances and maintain speeds over kilometres that you wouldn’t have thought were possible before.

Thank you for sharing Tegan and I hope you had an awesome birthday, well at least I know you started it right with a run on the KR10k course! And running in Africa, the wild animals you mentioned, lions and elephants????

Margriet #healthtip #RunLikeAGirl

Boobs!

Runner’s boob – it’s a thing. Did you know that when you run, your breasts move in a figure of eight pattern, not up and down? Add a few kilometres to your Strava distance for the distance your boobs ran. No wonder you may experience pain in your breasts after every run, especially those women with larger breasts.

Did you know that breasts are not muscle but actually a mass of tissue. In addition to discomfort and chafing, female runners can experience stretching of the supportive tissues in the breast. So what can you do to avoid pain and even sagging?

Support those breasts by keeping them stable and fairly immobilised. Buy a good, fitted, high support sports bra, one that especially designed for running (not the gym!). For smaller breasts, compression-style sports bras are recommended, while for larger breasts you may want an encapsulation bra with adjustable straps. However, the main support should come from a firm band, not the shoulder straps. There is a good video in the link explaining different styles.

And if you have an unusual pain in your breasts, always check it with your GP.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20846098/8-things-to-know-about-running-and-your-breasts/

Thanks Margriet another great tip on women’s running, and thank you for providing these tips for the last month it’s been awesome and I’m sure everyone has learnt something from them.

That concludes this month’s focus on women’s running and thanks you to those who have been involved and provided ideas and input, especially to Margriet for her health tips. I may start doing the newsletter each fortnight until lockdown is over with just some smaller posts in between. If anyone has any suggestions as to what you’d like to see please reach out to me and let me know, all input is appreciated.

Just before I go, don’t forget there is a virtual KR drinks session on Zoom tonight at 8pm, please see Mick’s invite below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81760899815...

Meeting ID: 817 6089 9815

Passcode: 400145

Dial by your location

+61 2 8015 6011 Australia

+61 3 7018 2005 Australia

+61 7 3185 3730 Australia

+61 8 6119 3900 Australia

+61 8 7150 1149 Australia

Well that’s a wrap for another week, enjoy your KRClassic Virtual run today and don’t forget to share some photos with us all on the KR FB page.

Remember to take care of yourself and others. And wash your hands, wear a mask and remember to socially distance.

Happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners