City2Surf - This Sunday

Steve Kibble

Aug 10, 2023, 12:16:23 AM8/10/23
to Kirribilli Runners

Greetings KRew

It seems like a long time in coming, but City2Surf is here at last. Yes that one Sunday of the year when some 80,000 people will tackle the hilly New South Head road on their way to Bondi Beach!

KR has over 70 people now as part of our team and will be a sea of Red out there.

If you want to join us we are going to have a group photo at the start meeting between about 6:45 and 6:55am at the fountain in Hyde park near St Mary’s. After the photo there will be plenty of time to get a place in the corrals for the race start.

Post the race will be the traditional beer or 3 at the Beach Road hotel, where I know some of the fast folks will set up camp for us upstairs again, so come in and look for us and join in the post-race fun. And pretty sure after the Beach Rd we will all head back to the KH for a few post post run beers!

Volunteering Opportunities at Sydney Marathon. As you will recall KR has provided volunteers to help with Sydney Marathon in the past and they have asked us again to provide some folks to help with the marshalling at the start. So please let Helen know if you are able to help out. It is always a fun time for the volunteers and a bonus of giving back to the running community.

Update on Anthony, by now I hope you have seen the post from Anthony in which he told us about the accident and the beginning of his journey back to health. Thankfully Anthony is here in Australia where we have a great health system that really does look after us when we need it most.

I know that he will continue to heal and will be back running with all he buddies soon!

Several people have asked if there is anything that they can do to help Anthony and his family, and to that end we started a GoFundMe page, and I am pleased to see that we have raised over $5,000 so far. I’m sure that is going to help with rehabilitation for Anthony.  If you’d like to contribute, please go to our GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Supporting-Anthony-Wood

I will keep you all updated on how he is going and how the money will be used to help him and his family.

Tuesday Speed Sessions. Most of you know we hold a speed session on Tuesday nights at Gore Hill Oval starting at 6:30pm. It is great to see about 14 or 15 people coming each week to work on their speed and push themselves on the various sessions that we do. All are welcome and for more details please message me directly.

Upcoming Events

Sydney Half held at Sydney Olympic Park on 3 Sep 23. If you are looking for a final race before the marathon, then this is a good way to get the legs turning over on a flat fast course. I’ve done it a few times and always enjoyed the atmosphere of encouraging supporters and other runners.

Sydney Running Festival in on Sunday 17 Sep 23 which is only about 5 weeks away! The organisers are trying to get our race to qualify as an Abbot World Marathon and join the likes of New York, Berlin and Boston as a truly world class event. To do this they are wanting to get 15,000 people to finish the race, and so it will be the biggest marathon event ever held in Australia, so don’t miss out and sign up today.

If you are bringing bags tonight, this week Mark will be there with his car to hold them whilst you run.  (But please pick them up as soon as we have finished the run!) Thank you, Mark, much appreciated!!

That’s a wrap for this week; remember to take care of yourself and others.

Keep running @everyone and happy trails,

Steve

Director

#kirribillirunners