KFASF2: Facebook event, fliers, and other outreach efforts

RagingAmazon

Mar 28, 2012, 6:02:15 PM3/28/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

If you haven't seen it yet, Rebecca created this Facebook event and we are gaining steam fast for KinkForAllSanFrancisco2. I'm also starting a list of organizations to reach out to and fliers are almost done (typo finding cookies go to Maymay!)

Is anyone up for writing some emails to community organizations and reaching out to groups that aren't necessarily part of the core kink/hacker/maker crowd?  I would love to see us make contact with groups supporting lower income individuals and queer people of color for example, and I don't have contacts there.

Thanks!
Alisa

"'You know zat another term for an icongrapher would be 'photographer?'  From the old word Photus in Latation, vhich means--' 'To prance around like an idiot ordering everyone about as if you owened the place.'" ~ Pratchett; the Truth

maymay

Apr 1, 2012, 8:36:22 PM4/1/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 28, 2012, at 6:02 PM, RagingAmazon wrote:

Hi guys,

If you haven't seen it yet, Rebecca created this Facebook event and we are gaining steam fast for KinkForAllSanFrancisco2. I'm also starting a list of organizations to reach out to and fliers are almost done (typo finding cookies go to Maymay!)

For people who don't have access to Facebook, the list of organizations that Alisa started[0] currently includes the following:

* Center for Sex and Culture
* Women’s Building
** http://www.womensbuilding.org/
* The Feminist Women's Health Center
* GLBT Historical Society
* La Casa De Les Madres
* Bay Area Bisexual Network
* Empowering Spirits Foundations
* EFF
* Noisebridge
* Harvey Milk Institute
* Tech Liminal
* TechShop

To this list, I'd like to add the following suggestions:

* Happiness Institute
* Center for Research on Gender and Sexuality (formerly the National Sexuality Resource Center)
* San Francisco Women Against Rape
* San Francisco Beta
* San Francisco Bay Area BlogHers
* The Ada Initiative
* The LGBT Center in San Francisco
* Larkin Street Youth Services
* Gender Spectrum
* Trans!Fix
* Points of Distribution (Needle Exchange Program)
* Radical Designs
* Internet Archive
* GidgetKitchen
* ISIS, Inc.
* Equality California
* Equal Access
* Kumba Films (producers of the SsexBbox web documentary film series)
* Coyote Counter Collective
* Station 40
* Wikimedia Foundation
* Oakland Local
* Lavender Youth Recreation & Information Center

Many of these organizations are ones at which I have current contacts, so I can send personal emails in addition to sending email to the organizations' catch-all "contact us" email addresses.

Is anyone up for writing some emails to community organizations and reaching out to groups that aren't necessarily part of the core kink/hacker/maker crowd?  I would love to see us make contact with groups supporting lower income individuals and queer people of color for example, and I don't have contacts there.

Thanks!
Alisa

Seconded, but I can't volunteer myself for doing additional legwork right now. I can, however, send emails to the organizations listed above, but I'd *really* appreciate help, as this is a very long list already. (Which isn't to say we should stop looking for additional organizations to contact, *particularly* ones "supporting lower income individuals and queer people of color, for example." I think we totally should.)

For KinkForAll Denver, we created and shared a Google spreadsheet to organize[1] information about what organizations were contacted, and when.[2] I'd like to do that again if I can get some help contacting the organizations listed above.

Cheers,

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

raging...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2012, 9:15:22 PM4/1/12
to KinkForAll

Awesome collection of orgs!

Dakota is working on a press release. Once that's done, it would be
fantastic if we could reach out to all these organizations and send
them a copy of the flier, the press release, and either a template, or
even better, a personalized email.

I can get started on this in the coming week but would love help since
we have a lot of organizations to contact. Is anyone available to
take on some of this outreach work?

Thanks in advance!

Alisa
P.S. I'll go ahead and make a shared google doc so we can track the
organizations we've contacted too.

On Apr 1, 8:36 pm, maymay <bitetheappleb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Thanks!
> > Alisa
>
> Seconded, but I can't volunteer myself for doing additional legwork right now. I can, however, send emails to the organizations listed above, but I'd *really* appreciate help, as this is a very long list already. (Which isn't to say we should stop looking for additional organizations to contact, *particularly* ones "supporting lower income individuals and queer people of color, for example." I think we totally should.)
>
> For KinkForAll Denver, we created and shared a Google spreadsheet to organize[1] information about what organizations were contacted, and when.[2] I'd like to do that again if I can get some help contacting the organizations listed above.

Rebecca Crane

Apr 2, 2012, 12:53:09 PM4/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Raging...@gmail.com <raging...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Dakota is working on a press release.  Once that's done [...]

Mea culpa. Dakota's swamped with lit review work for their advisor right now and I had them tied up doing relationshippy things all weekend, so I've volunteered to take some of the press release work off their shoulders. I'll try and get a draft version up into GoogleDocs by the end of the day for comments. Alisa, were there any special parameters or specifics you wanted to focus on beyond what you and maymay have already laid out in the social media promo blurbs?

I can get started on this in the coming week but would love help since
we have a lot of organizations to contact.  Is anyone available to
take on some of this outreach work?

I'm happy to lend a hand with whatever behind-the-scenes legwork needs doing i.e. I can draft e-mails, search for contact info, update spreadsheets and such. Just let me know.  Especially in terms of contacting grassroots activist orgs, tho, an invitation is obviously going to carry more weight if it comes from someone who actually lives in the Bay Area.

(But I'll try to think of local friends who I can bug to get involved... ;) )

- R

Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

Rebecca Crane

Apr 2, 2012, 5:52:31 PM4/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Rebecca Crane <rebecc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'll try and get a draft version up into GoogleDocs by the end of the day for comments.

Quick update: We're taking leave of the Internet temporarily, but will work on this offline together this evening. :)

Dakota Raynes

Apr 3, 2012, 11:34:44 AM4/3/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hey there folks,

A draft of the KFASF2 press release is up on google docs and shared with Alisa and Maymay as they are quoted in it. Please check the quotes and let us know what you think about it overall.

See y'all soon!

Kota
--
Dakota Raynes