Implementing nominal-based subscription

Muhamad Iqbal

Jan 20, 2022, 9:05:25 AM1/20/22
to Kill Bill users mailing-list
Greeting everyone,

I'm planning to use Killbill to implement products that's being offered from our company. One of the product that we offer is using nominal-based subscription. For example:

Customer A wants to subscribe to our storage plans. And we have plans listed as such
- plan #1 for per 10MB, priced at USD 1
- plan #2 for per 100MB, priced at USD 10
- plan #3 per 1GB, priced at USD 15
Customer A wants a 150MB-storage, so they can buy plan #1 5x and plan #2 once.

From the Usage Billing section, I can see Capacity-based plans should be appropriate for my case. But so far I only see plan working independently of each other in the docs. Is there a way that I can make plan that works in tandem to match with my case?

Thank you for any advice that anyone can give

stephane brossier

Jan 25, 2022, 9:50:23 PM1/25/22
to Muhamad Iqbal, Kill Bill users mailing-list
On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 6:05 AM Muhamad Iqbal <muhamadi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greeting everyone,

I'm planning to use Killbill to implement products that's being offered from our company. One of the product that we offer is using nominal-based subscription. For example:

Customer A wants to subscribe to our storage plans. And we have plans listed as such
- plan #1 for per 10MB, priced at USD 1
- plan #2 for per 100MB, priced at USD 10
- plan #3 per 1GB, priced at USD 15
Customer A wants a 150MB-storage, so they can buy plan #1 5x and plan #2 once.

It seems like there are other ways to reach the 150MB-storage, such as using plan#1 15x for instance (also costing $15), so I am not really sure I understand how this works - would your customer pick multiple plans to match how much she/he wants to use?

Muhamad Iqbal

Jan 25, 2022, 11:41:20 PM1/25/22
to Kill Bill users mailing-list
Yes, our service offers storage for a long-term use. And from our research, having these nomination-based plans could be flexible enough to match our customers' need compared to having single caps-based plans

As for my example, I might've given a not-so-good example. In our exact plan, the price for bigger storage nomination usually have slightly lower price compared to buying the small nomination multiple times. Eg. 10MB storage nomination is priced at USD 1 and the 100MB one is priced at USD 8 (slightly lower than 10x USD 1 plan)

stephane brossier

Jan 26, 2022, 8:04:53 PM1/26/22
to Muhamad Iqbal, Kill Bill users mailing-list
Are you actually planning on measuring what the customer is using OR is the goal to have the customer chose a configuration (e.g 150MB-storage) and then have her pay for it in a recurring fashion each month? In the former use case, a capacity-based usage model may indeed be a good choice. In the later case, you may just need recurring Plans.

If you do indeed use recurring Plans your choices are:
1. Create multiple subscriptions, one for each Plan, OR
2. Use a mode dynamic pricing model (either price override) or all the way towards creating your own catalog plugin

Muhamad Iqbal

Feb 6, 2022, 9:30:39 AM2/6/22
to Kill Bill users mailing-list
I believe the former is more suitable for my case. Altho another question raised: is there a way to report decrease of usage to Killbill? Say a 100GB-storage-subscription user has 60GB data currently in use, and just deleted some old data

stephane brossier

Feb 10, 2022, 1:23:31 PM2/10/22
to Muhamad Iqbal, Kill Bill users mailing-list
The code does not expect usage items that were already recorded and previously invoiced to be deleted - based on configuration this may even fail the invoicing run. If you wanted to credit the user for the deleted part (let's say a mistake on the supplier part), you would need to generated a account credit.