KickSat-2 launch date: Nov 17?

Michael Turner

Jul 27, 2018, 3:54:48 AM7/27/18
to kicks...@googlegroups.com

I'm guessing from the Cygnus ISS resupply launch, here:

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Zac Manchester

Jul 27, 2018, 8:48:23 PM7/27/18
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that’s our current target.

- Zac

S marie Johnson

Jul 30, 2018, 1:00:18 PM7/30/18
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I have been following the progress of Kicksat2 since the inception of Kicksat1. Being an original contributor, I am very excited about the prospect of a November launch.
sincerely,
Shelley 🚀

Shelley Manson RPN
SMJ Care Consulting
    Care4Me: Caring for Caregivers in Canada
    "...you'll be glad you did."
              613-621-3104

T G

Nov 24, 2018, 5:54:14 PM11/24/18
to kicks...@googlegroups.com, shelle...@gmail.com, Zac, Michael Turner
Hi everyone.
Now that we've seen Kicksat 2 lofted to the ISS I'm very excited to see what happens next.  Congratulations Zac, it's your vision that has brought us to this point.  Can I get some advice on what is being done to get the attention of the global amateur radio community so that come next February they will be prepared to help capture the signals.  Also where will they send captured signals to and how can we check to see if signals have been received from our own devices?

Best regards
Terry

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 3:54 AM, Michael Turner <michael.eu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm guessing from the Cygnus ISS resupply launch, here:

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Shelley Manson RPN
SMJ Care Consulting
    Care4Me: Caring for Caregivers in Canada
    "...you'll be glad you did."
              613-621-3104

Michael Turner

Nov 25, 2018, 12:40:11 AM11/25/18
to T G, kicks...@googlegroups.com

In connection with Terry's question, let me mention that there are some ground station resources here in Japan

Infostellar has been described as "airbnb for ground stations", and you can probably work it out from there.

ARTSAT organized what they called "cooperative diversity communication" for cooperative data reconstruction

On the latter: I ported the ARTSAT DESPATCH poetry-generating code (as much as possible) to an older Sprite version and sent Zac the code. Not sure if the code ever made it onto the Sprite 2 for KickSat 2, but if not (I delivered rather close to the vibration test deadling), well, c'est la vie.

I'm overdue to give talks to both Infostellar and ARTSAT. I gather that KickSat 2 won't be deployed from ISS until February, which should give me some extra time to organize things a bit more in Japan. If receiving work can be organized successfully, it could make for a good presentation at the Japan Amateur Radio League (JARL) for their annual August gathering

and it might make sense to approach the organization even now, for help. I'm also due to give a talk in mid-December (date TBA) at Mapua University (Manila) physics department, and the more knowledgeable I sound about on the ground station issues, the better.

Unfortunately, my technical involvement on the ground station side has so far been limited to just starting this mailing list, which Zac naturally took over, not long after. And that's because of my lack of knowledge and skills. I hope I can count on list members to help me avoid looking laughably ignorant in my outreach efforts, in Japan and elsewhere.