Sprite-to-Sprite comms -- does it work?

Michael Turner

Oct 12, 2019, 10:05:40 PM10/12/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
I only have vintage 2013 Sprites, but this shouldn't make a
difference. Does anyone know whether this code works?

https://github.com/kicksat/sprite-network/tree/master/libraries/SpriteNet

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
tur...@projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Zac Manchester

Oct 14, 2019, 7:43:55 PM10/14/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
It does work, but I can’t offer any support as the student who wrote it has graduated and moved on.

-Zac

Michael Turner

Oct 14, 2019, 8:49:33 PM10/14/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
In my plan for STEM curriculum elements based on Sprites, one element
is a field trip where students go on a field trip to the mountains,
split into two groups, and do peak-to-peak transmissions. I assumed
that they'd need a hamsat-class ground station, and I even bought some
equipment for this. I started wondering, though: could Sprites talk
over long distances? If so, any guesses as to the upper limit on
distance?

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
tur...@projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kicksat-gs/bcd4238d-a7cd-4676-9070-e6fc2c360ccf%40Spark.

S marie Johnson

Oct 16, 2019, 11:44:13 AM10/16/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Omg   I would live to have one. What a treasure

Michael Turner

Oct 17, 2019, 1:14:59 AM10/17/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Marie -- I have thoughts of making a new batch. I'm running out of the
old ones. Not sure when. Probably not before next year though.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
tur...@projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kicksat-gs/CAOe2syzaducWkH%2B4v4%3D5MAQhPe4Q3Q_uBzssnEzEk%3DPY9ReEQA%40mail.gmail.com.

S marie Johnson

Oct 17, 2019, 10:48:03 AM10/17/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Sounds wonderful Michael. Is there a Kicksat3 in the works

Andy Thomas

Oct 17, 2019, 10:53:08 AM10/17/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
The blank boards for the original sprites can be created by downloading the set of open source  "Gerber files" off the GitHub and emailing them to a PCB company in Shenzhen or Hong Kong. I use ITEAD but am not advertising  for them. It will cost about 20 USD for ten including postage worldwide. That's my souvenir.

Andy g0sfj

Zac Manchester

Oct 17, 2019, 12:28:04 PM10/17/19
to kicks...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

No plans for KickSat-3 at the moment, but we have been working on new Sprite designs that are much easier to play with than the old ones:

I highly recommend these over the old design. They now run python and are super easy to program without messing with any compiler or external programmer stuff. We’ve also open sourced all of the CubeSat avionics from KickSat-2:

Best,
Zac

S marie Johnson

Oct 17, 2019, 1:12:05 PM10/17/19