Istio Component Status: providing better insight

Xavier Canal Masjuan

Oct 27, 2020, 8:36:23 AM10/27/20
to kiali-users
Hello there,

Kiali has the Istio Component Status feature which aims to warn mesh users in case the mesh is not healthy.

rsz_screenshot_of_kiali_console_72.png

The status of each component is basically based on its deployments: if the deployment is found, then does the cluster have the desired replicas available? If not, it is considered as not healthy. If the deployment is not found, then kiali shows it as Not Found.

However, there is an issue[1] where it bolds that add-ons like Prometheus are not necessarily deployed with deployments.

The question is, what would be useful for you to highlight in that feature? Is it the desired replica matching in each deployment? Perhaps, highlight if kiali reaches those services (status: service unreachable)? What do you do to check that the control plane is running and fully working?

Feel free to answer in here or join the conversation in the commented issue[1].

Thank you very much,

[1] https://github.com/kiali/kiali/issues/3353

--
Xavier Canal i Masjuan

Edgar Hernández

Oct 27, 2020, 11:55:23 AM10/27/20
to Xavier Canal Masjuan, kiali-users
Hi, Xavier.

IMHO, as Istio is treating "other" components as simple add-ons, I think the best route right now is to somehow "ping" prometheus/jaeger.
I even think that people can choose to run prometheus/jaeger outside of Kubernetes, so you will have nothing but a bare URL to try to make contact.

That's my 2 cents.