Jaeger integration

Hedi Houas

Sep 19, 2020, 9:24:20 PM9/19/20
to kiali-users
In addition to having a link that points to Jaeger in the left menu, what can the integration between Kiali and Jaeger consist of?

John Mazzitelli

Sep 19, 2020, 11:16:32 PM9/19/20
to kiali-users
> In addition to having a link that points to Jaeger in the left menu, what
> can the integration between Kiali and Jaeger consist of?

There are several things to note regarding tracing integration in Kiali (in addition to that simple link in the left menu that you mention).

First, in the metric charts, tracing information is overlaid so you can access specific traces that are correlated with specific metrics. You can also get access to the traces directly in the UI. See: https://kiali.io/documentation/latest/features/#_detail_traces

Next, in the last release of Kiali, there is also a way to view the topology graph overlaid with trace information. There is also a Trace tab in many of the Kiali views. See this PR: https://github.com/kiali/kiali-ui/pull/1923 and specifically the screenshot as an example: https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/6614472/93221738-bf497a80-f78b-11ea-99cf-82ef529769e8.png

You can see a demo of this in our latest sprint demo which we presented this past Friday. Watch this, starting at the 5 minute, 30 second mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqliZJZMR84&t=5m30s