Jaeger integration

Hedi Houas

Sep 18, 2020, 6:10:26 AM9/18/20
to kiali-users
Hello,

I want to integrate Kiali in my tracing operations. I'm using Kiali 1.18 and Jaeger 1.16. My Kiali interface isn't like the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cZDPV9Ge0
I don't have the "Distributed Tracing" tab (left), and when I click on a service, I don't get the "Traces" tab next to the "Traffic" tab (right).
Should I change the Kiali version?
Applying tracespan.yaml and handler-rule.yaml didn't change the span tags.

What do you think?

Lucas Ponce

Sep 18, 2020, 6:25:15 AM9/18/20
to Hedi Houas, kiali-users
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM Hedi Houas <hedih...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I want to integrate Kiali in my tracing operations. I'm using Kiali 1.18 and Jaeger 1.16. My Kiali interface isn't like the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cZDPV9Ge0
I don't have the "Distributed Tracing" tab (left), and when I click on a service, I don't get the "Traces" tab next to the "Traffic" tab (right).
Should I change the Kiali version?

Probably yes, if you are using Istio 1.6+ the version we will be available next Monday, Kiali 1.24, has many enhancements related the Tracing integration with Kiali.

Applying tracespan.yaml and handler-rule.yaml didn't change the span tags.

What do you think?

Lucas Ponce

Sep 18, 2020, 6:25:35 AM9/18/20
to Hedi Houas, kiali-users
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Lucas Ponce <lpo...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM Hedi Houas <hedih...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I want to integrate Kiali in my tracing operations. I'm using Kiali 1.18 and Jaeger 1.16. My Kiali interface isn't like the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cZDPV9Ge0
I don't have the "Distributed Tracing" tab (left), and when I click on a service, I don't get the "Traces" tab next to the "Traffic" tab (right).
Should I change the Kiali version?

Probably yes, if you are using Istio 1.6+ the version we will be available next Monday, Kiali 1.24, has many enhancements related the Tracing integration with Kiali.

we will release / it will be available

Joel Takvorian

Sep 18, 2020, 7:17:59 AM9/18/20
to Hedi Houas, kiali-users
In spite of the latest enhancements, Kiali 1.18 should however work with tracing. Perhaps it is misconfigured? Can you check this page and see if your configuration is correct? https://kiali.io/documentation/latest/distributed-tracing/#_configuration

If it's correct, next step: any suspicious error message in Kiali logs and/or in the frontend ?

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM Hedi Houas <hedih...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hedi Houas

Sep 18, 2020, 8:21:55 AM9/18/20
to Joel Takvorian, kiali-users
Yes, I want to use the 1.18 version and I think it's misconfigured, because I didn't change the default setup.
The Kiali configmap starts like "kiali-config.png".
But it doesn't have this:
external_services: tracing: in_cluster_url: 'http://tracing.istio-system/jaeger' url: 'http://my-jaeger-host/jaeger'
Where do I put this?

kiali-config.png

Joel Takvorian

Sep 21, 2020, 4:21:02 AM9/21/20
to Hedi Houas, kiali-users
Well, it looks like you actually have tracing's url and in_cluster_url defined, I can see them in that screenshot. Just make sure they're correct and accessible: the "url" has to be accessible from your machine / browser, the "in_cluster_url" has to be accessible from Kiali pod (e.g. how to do that: run "kubectl exec kiali-7544ff94c6-86t4s -n istio-system -- curl http://tracing/jaeger" ... using your kiali pod name).

The in_cluster_url has to be built out of jaeger service name, so given the URL you have, you must have a service called "tracing" in istio-system.
Does that make sense?

Joel Takvorian

Sep 21, 2020, 4:22:22 AM9/21/20
to Hedi Houas, kiali-users
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Joel Takvorian <jtak...@redhat.com> wrote:
Well, it looks like you actually have tracing's url and in_cluster_url defined, I can see them in that screenshot. Just make sure they're correct and accessible: the "url" has to be accessible from your machine / browser, the "in_cluster_url" has to be accessible from Kiali pod (e.g. how to do that: run "kubectl exec kiali-7544ff94c6-86t4s -n istio-system -- curl http://tracing/jaeger" ... using your kiali pod name).

I mean, when you run that, if you get some HTML returned (it's the jaeger UI), it means the URL is correct.