Kiali on Multi Primary Istio setup(Istio 1.8)

C Sai

Dec 28, 2020, 5:20:34 AM12/28/20
to kiali-users
Hi All,

We are trying to get the below setup done in our kubernetes multi clusters (Two clusters).

Step1: From Rancher We have Setup the kubernetes clusters.

Step2: On Two clusters, Istio multi primary is setup is done with version 1.8

Step3: Installed rancher monitoring and Kiali on both clusters, We are able to see the graphs of the application which is installed on individual clusters in Kiali dashboard.

              Now the issue is, We are not able to view the details related to second cluster  from the first cluster's Kiali dashboard.
              Does anyone tried this use case to view all the application graphs from neighbour clusters using one Kiali dashboard.

If So, Could you please help me to achieve this.

Thanks,
Chaitanya

Lucas Ponce

Jan 4, 2021, 3:01:42 AM1/4/21
to C Sai, kiali-users
Hi Chaitanya,

Multicluster support is being actively developed within Kiali.

Edgar and Jay may give you more details.

For reference, if you want to track the planned tasks for it, you can take a look into the Epic in Kiali's project:

Lucas

Edgar Hernández

Jan 4, 2021, 12:09:58 PM1/4/21
to Lucas Ponce, C Sai, kiali-users
Hi Chaitanya,

As Lucas said, this is work in progress.
The main challenge in your request is to aggregate data from all clusters. This is not trivial to do.

We cannot give an estimated date, but it's definitely in our radar.

Jay Shaughnessy

Jan 5, 2021, 5:17:28 PM1/5/21
to kiali-users

Hi Chaitanya,

Can you give us some insight as to why you chose multi-primary as opposed to a single primary with a remote cluster?   Is the second cluster a replicant of the first cluster, or separately managed?   Do namespaces span the clusters?   Do you expect users to have permissions across the clusters?    Having a better idea of how users want to use Istio in a multi-cluster environment will be very helpful with our efforts in Kiali.  Thanks!