Suggesting that yuon is a racist word incites racial hatred

Khmer Young

Feb 6, 2010, 12:49:32 AM2/6/10
to khmer...@gmail.com

Suggesting that yuon is a racist word incites racial hatred

Indeed, the word yuon is a Cambodian word to refer to Vietnamese (English), Vietnamien (french), Voatnam (Chinese Chao Zhou), Yieknam (in Vietnamese language) or Yia Nam (Chinese mandarin). Therefore in each language, each nationality has their word to call something differently. Your media accusation to Mr Sam Rainsy is indeed very provocative and inciting of hate rather than helping to promote cultural diversity.

Op-Ed: Meng Ly

Dear Editor,

I am writing this email to you because of the accusation made by your media to Mr Sam Rainsy of racism for calling Vietnam as yuon. I would like to declare to you that I am not a supporter of the Sam Rainsy Party or a supporter of any group at all. My background is that I have a father of chinese origin and a mother who was half Cambodian and half Vietnamese. So I am a supporter of diversity and multicultural society.

Indeed, the word yuon is a Cambodian word to refer to Vietnamese (English), Vietnamien (french), Voatnam (Chinese Chao Zhou), Yieknam (in Vietnamese language) or Yia Nam (Chinese mandarin). Therefore in each language, each nationality has their word to call something differently. Your media accusation to Mr Sam Rainsy is indeed very provocative and inciting of hate rather than helping to promote cultural diversity.

I call on you to make a public apology for making a wrong judgment and inciting hatred among Vietnamese citizens and Cambodian opposition party members.

Meng Ly

A good paper makes a bad decision about the meaning of yuon

Op-Ed: Patrick Chum

Dear Editor

I’ve been a loyal Phnom Penh Post reader for more than 10 years because of your ethics in news reporting. You care about our community and report news as is and unbiased.

In reference to the article “Sam Rainsy declares border victory” (February 2, 2010), I am very offended by Meas Sokchea’s description of the word yuon as a racist word.

Meas Sokchea should educate himself before saying such things. And you should read, then double check, for references before this slips to the printing room. We Khmers call the Vietnamese yuon freely.

For the record, yuon is never a racist word. Sir, I can prove it.

Patrick Chum
Los Angeles

--
Cambodian Brighter Future depends on enduring conscience and tireless strivings of Cambodian Younger Generation!
http://cambodianbrightfuture.blogspot.com