Help Using Perseus

Binayak

Nov 5, 2014, 8:15:02 PM11/5/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Khan Academy Exercise Team,
   I am using Perseus software to generate questions sets so that my students can try additional exercises. A big shout out to Aria whose help was
   invaluable. I have couple of issues while creating exercise set using Perseus and your help is very much appreciated.

   1)  How to give an image as one of the choice in the multiple choice question answer.

      Here is an illustration of my problem: http://i.imgur.com/SBp3T2A.png

   2) I am drawing a geometrical image by using Interaction widgets. How to give name on those points.

      Here is an illustration: http://i.imgur.com/PeLQtWZ.png

Thanks
binayak

Aria

Nov 6, 2014, 6:05:25 PM11/6/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com, content-tools-blackhole
Hi again!

1) you can add images to multiple choice widgets using Markdown's ![alt text](url) syntax

2) diagrams on our website are usually static images (I don't think we have a way of adding labels to interaction widget points), built with https://github.com/Khan/graphie-to-png (most of the functions in https://github.com/Khan/khan-exercises/tree/master/utils are available)

Binayak

Nov 7, 2014, 2:40:42 AM11/7/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com, content-too...@khanacademy.org, Aria
Thanks aria.

I think some of the questions are not static images for example I did not find any static image for this one

Aria Toole

Nov 14, 2014, 5:32:16 PM11/14/14
to Oresoft Live Web Class, content-tools-blackhole, khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Biswajit,

Regarding images, Ben Eater also reminded me that the latest version of perseus does actually have support for labels on the interaction widget.

As to the rest of your questions:

A-D) Points on the Coordinate Plane is actually an exercise from khan-exercises, instead of Perseus: https://github.com/Khan/khan-exercises/blob/master/exercises/identifying_points_1.html . khan-exercises gives you more flexibility in creating exercises, but requires HTML and javascript to write them. (Creating bar charts and the other two exercises are also a khan-exercise: https://github.com/Khan/khan-exercises/blob/master/exercises/creating_bar_charts_1.html )

E) You can write hints in different colours by using \pink inside $mathy text$. People often use the following: $\pink{\text{this text is pink}}$ (pink can be replaced with blue, orange, green, red, purple or maybe others)

F) Also something from khan-exercises. It's called qhints (for "question hints"): https://github.com/Khan/khan-exercises/blob/master/exercises/matrix_dimensions.html

On 14 November 2014 13:45, Oresoft Live Web Class <contact...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Aria,
   I hope you are doing great. I am wondering if you have got a chance to look at my last email. The issues are related to writing hints.

Thanks
Biswajit

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Oresoft Live Web Class <contact...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Aria,
  Sorry to bother you again. I have sent a question last week. I am wondering if you can spare some time.

  I have made great progress writing exercise using Perseus framework. I have still have couple of issues related to
writing hints and your help is very much appreciated.

A) How are you showing the co-ordinates of points when clicking
hint

KA:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/linear-equations-and-inequalitie/coordinate-plane/e/identifying_points_1
image : http://i.imgur.com/MFcWD7M.png

B) How are you showing the dotted line when clicking on hints
image: http://i.imgur.com/GtDF03r.png

C) How are you showing the arrows bule arrow on x-Axis and Green
Arrow parallel to Y Axis
image: http://i.imgur.com/aeAdabQ.png

D) How do you write hint for show me button
image: http://i.imgur.com/nTcEoNi.png

E) How are you writing hints in different colors ?
image: http://i.imgur.com/eFqyR67.png

F) How are you writing hints with check option
KA
exercise: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra2/alg2-matrices/basic-matrix-operations-alg2/e/matrix_dimensions
image: http://i.imgur.com/VABltZC.png

Thanks a lot.