kernel file lost

Sunil Kr. Koiri

May 21, 2009, 8:06:57 AM5/21/09
to GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC
i was successful in installing the grub
i had two kernel files
accidently the kernel file which supported nvidia graphics driver was
lost
i was able to boot fedora using the other kernel file but after logon
everything becomes a white screen
probably it is due to the missing nvidia graphics driver
i tried to install nvidia graphichs driver by booting in the text mode
but it produced an error displaying " kernel 2....15...117 required
for kmod-nvidia* "
i do not remember the exact name of the file
so how can i install my graphics driver 'nvidia' now
it is demanding that particular kernel file which was accidently lost

please help !!!

sunil kumar koiri
kgec
kalyani

Arindam Ghosh

May 21, 2009, 8:41:13 AM5/21/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Sunil Kr. Koiri <sunba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i was successful in  installing the grub
> i had two kernel files
> accidently the kernel file which supported nvidia graphics driver was
> lost
> i was able to boot fedora using the other kernel file but after logon
> everything becomes a white screen
> probably it is due to the missing nvidia graphics driver
> i tried to install nvidia graphichs driver by booting in the text mode
> but it produced an error displaying " kernel 2....15...117   required
> for kmod-nvidia* "

Well. once you get the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (any one from F1-F6)

* You will get a CLI login screen. From there, login as root (provide
password as required).
* Then first connect to internet (using ifup or wvdial)
* # yum update kernel kmod-nvidia akmods

Try this, it should help.

PS: The gdm-login screen is generally at Ctrl+Alt+F7

--best
Arindam