problem with RHCE

Rohit Gupta

Jul 21, 2009, 4:11:13 AM7/21/09
to kgeclug
Yesterday I had installed RHEL-5 in my computer and have installed all
the packages listed. I am having problems with my graphics. I am not
getting the GUI. when I try to start GUI with the startx command, it
gives the error:
no screens found
fatal error

I have ATI graphics card (Radeon 2300)
I am not sure weather it is installed. installation was also done in text mode.

Thanks.

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
KGEC

Swagato Paul

Jul 21, 2009, 7:51:07 AM7/21/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rohit,

 I am having problems with my graphics. I am not
getting the GUI. when I try to start GUI with the startx command, it
gives the error:
no screens found
fatal error

I have ATI graphics card (Radeon 2300)
I am not sure weather it is installed. installation was also done in text mode.

Boot into runlevel 3. Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf about which display driver is configured there (I think it may be radeon or radeon-tp or something like that). Take a backup of the xorg.conf and run the command 'system-config-display --reconfig' and try to change the resolution to a lower value. Save it and try to go to runlevel 5. If this does not work, follow the above steps again (in runlevel 3) and after running the 'system-config-display --reconfig' check with the "vesa" driver. If that works, then issue is probably related to driver.

What's the output of 'lspci |grep VGA' and 'lspci -nvv |grep $(lspci|grep VGA|cut -f1 -d" ")' ?

Swagato

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.

Rohit Gupta

Jul 21, 2009, 3:26:01 PM7/21/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On 7/21/09, Swagato Paul <swagat...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hello Rohit,
>

> Boot into runlevel 3. Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf about which display driver is
> configured there (I think it may be radeon or radeon-tp or something like
> that). Take a backup of the xorg.conf and run the command
> 'system-config-display --reconfig' and try to change the resolution to a
> lower value. Save it and try to go to runlevel 5. If this does not work,
> follow the above steps again (in runlevel 3) and after running the
> 'system-config-display --reconfig' check with the "vesa" driver. If that
> works, then issue is probably related to driver.
>
> What's the output of 'lspci |grep VGA' and 'lspci -nvv |grep $(lspci|grep
> VGA|cut -f1 -d" ")' ?
>
> Swagato

I found a binary of ATI graphics driver downloaded long back. It
successfully executed and my Graphics driver is installed. Thanks.

New Problems:
For the first time I saw a Linux distro in which my ethernet is not
getting detected. whenever I try to configure the IP address with
ifconfig eth0 <IP add.> , it says - device not found.
How can I install eth0?
I also came accross a term - sonypi (Sony Programmable I/O Control
Device Driver)
Link: http://www.popies.net/sonypi/
it says, it is included in latest kernels. My system says it cannot
find sonypi (means not installed)
what is the command to check the version of kernel?

Any suggession for RHEL-5 is welcome. I want to prepare for RHCE.

Thanks.

--
Regards:
Rohit Gupta

Indranil Das Gupta

Jul 22, 2009, 5:31:34 AM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohit,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Rohit Gupta<rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any suggession for RHEL-5 is welcome. I want to prepare for RHCE.

1. First make up your mind if your alleged "problem" is with RHCE or
RHEL. If you have a problem with RHCE, the only people who can do
anything for your would be:

(a) Red Hat's own training program - http://www.redhat.com/training

and/or

(b) the Indian legal system - you can petition the courts.

> New Problems:
> For the first time I saw a Linux distro in which my ethernet is not
> getting detected. whenever I try to configure the IP address with
> ifconfig eth0 <IP add.> , it says - device not found.
> How can I install eth0?
> I also came accross a term - sonypi (Sony Programmable I/O Control
> Device Driver)
> Link: http://www.popies.net/sonypi/
> it says, it is included in latest kernels. My system says it cannot
> find sonypi (means not installed)
> what is the command to check the version of kernel?

2. If however, your "problems" are with RHEL 5 then you are probably a
significant part of the "problem". RHEL is designed for enterprise
and commercial use, where the focus is on stability and performance.
Of making sure that things work reliably over time, instead of
breaking down and not working.

There are list of hardware and peripheral components that are tested
and certified to work on different RHEL version and architecture. If
your system is not part of that list and doesn't, well then tough
luck. To know more about the list see https://hardware.redhat.com/

The focus of RHEL is on stability and reliability over a period of
time, as you will note that the version of kernel supplied by the
latest RHEL version is usually a good many versions older compared to
a latest Fedora kernel. The device driver support comes from the
kernel. So newer the kernel, so much better the chance of the latest
hardware being supported.

You need to remember that a Fedora version has a maximum lifecycle of
18 months (1.5 years) after which it reaches its end-of-life. Compared
to that a RHEL version is usually around for 84 months (7 years). You
can read more from here http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/

I wish you all the best in becoming an RHCE. But if your latest
hardware doesn't work on RHEL5 its you who is to blame. Learn to
choose the right tool for the right job.

cheers
-idg

Swagato Paul

Jul 22, 2009, 7:43:03 AM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

New Problems:
For the first time I saw a Linux distro in which my ethernet is not
getting detected. whenever I try to configure the IP address with
ifconfig eth0 <IP add.> , it says - device not found.
How can I install eth0?

What's the make/model of the NIC? Check whether the NIC shows up in 'lspci' output. Check whether /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is present or not. What's mentioned in /etc/modprobe.conf? If the driver is not inbuilt, then probably you need to download the same from the manufacturers website (also sometimes given in the CD accompanying NIC) and compile it. The steps are generally given in the readme files.

I also came accross a term - sonypi (Sony Programmable I/O Control
Device Driver)
Link: http://www.popies.net/sonypi/
it says, it is included in latest kernels. My system says it cannot
find sonypi (means not installed)
what is the command to check the version of kernel?

'uname -a' will give you a lot of information including the kernel.

Swagato

Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local

Rohit Gupta

Jul 22, 2009, 8:38:19 AM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with indranil da about RHEL and RHCE but with
hardware, I can't help myself with a different one at present.
I think ATI is also not supported by RHEL but I was able to install
the ATI Graphics card from its binary, downloaded from the ATI
website. I am wondering, if I can get something similar for my
ethernet card and it starts working.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Swagato Paul<swagat...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> New Problems:
> For the first time I saw a Linux distro in which my ethernet is not
> getting detected. whenever I try to configure the IP address with
> ifconfig eth0 <IP add.> , it says - device not found.
> How can I install eth0?
>
> What's the make/model of the NIC? Check whether the NIC shows up in 'lspci'
> output. Check whether /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is present
> or not. What's mentioned in /etc/modprobe.conf? If the driver is not
> inbuilt, then probably you need to download the same from the manufacturers
> website (also sometimes given in the CD accompanying NIC) and compile it.
> The steps are generally given in the readme files.

Ethernet model:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E
PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
kernel version (on RHEL-5): 2.6.18-8.el5
I also tried this:
http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/wiki/index.php/How_to_set_up_RTL8101_Ethernet_Driver_in_RHEL5

I downloaded the "LINUX driver for kernel 2.6.X and 2.4.X (Support x86
and x64)" from here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

But when I tried to compile and install the package, I got these errors:

[root@localhost RHEL eth0]# tar -xvf r8101-1.012.00.tar.bz2
r8101-1.012.00/
r8101-1.012.00/src/
r8101-1.012.00/src/rtl_ethtool.h
r8101-1.012.00/src/rtl_eeprom.h
r8101-1.012.00/src/r8101_n.c
r8101-1.012.00/src/Makefile
r8101-1.012.00/src/rtl_eeprom.c
r8101-1.012.00/src/Makefile_linux24x
r8101-1.012.00/src/r8101.h
r8101-1.012.00/Makefile
r8101-1.012.00/readme
[root@localhost RHEL eth0]# cd r8101-1.012.00
[root@localhost r8101-1.012.00]# make clean modules
make -C src/ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
rm -rf *.o *.ko *~ core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags
.tmp_versions Module.symvers Modules.symvers Module.markers *.order
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
make -C src/ modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/build SUBDIRS=/home/RHEL
eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-8.el5-i686'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-8.el5-i686'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
[root@localhost r8101-1.012.00]# make install
make -C src/ install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
install -m 744 -c r8101.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/kernel/drivers/net/
install: cannot stat `r8101.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/RHEL eth0/r8101-1.012.00/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2
[root@localhost r8101-1.012.00]# depmod -a
[root@localhost r8101-1.012.00]# insmod ./src/r8101.ko
insmod: can't read './src/r8101.ko': No such file or directory
[root@localhost r8101-1.012.00]#

I also tried to solve my problem in IRC but failed.

Rohit Gupta

Jul 22, 2009, 11:08:37 AM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
> I also tried to solve my problem in IRC but failed.

I was suggested to install the latest availiable Linux kernel on IRC.
Will this help:
http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/wiki/index.php/How_to_Install_Latest-Kernel_in_to_Linux

P.S: I have limited net connection and so I will try it later.

Indranil Das Gupta

Jul 22, 2009, 11:38:37 AM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Rohit and other RHCE wannabes on the list,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Rohit Gupta<rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I also tried to solve my problem in IRC but failed.
>
> I was suggested to install the latest availiable Linux kernel on IRC.
> Will this help:
> http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/wiki/index.php/How_to_Install_Latest-Kernel_in_to_Linux

If a paying customer of RHEL installs a non-RHEL kernel (as any latest
kernel is going to be) on a paid-for RHEL box, it will invalidate the
RHEL support agreement and license

just a word of advice from someone who has been a part of the Red Hat
Ready Business Partner program as a FOSS support company

hth
-idg

Rohit Gupta

Jul 22, 2009, 12:17:08 PM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Indranil Das Gupta<ind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rohit and other RHCE wannabes on the list,
>
> If a paying customer of RHEL installs a non-RHEL kernel (as any latest
> kernel is going to be) on a paid-for RHEL box, it will invalidate the
> RHEL support agreement and license

Can I get the latest RHEL Kernel?

> just a word of advice from someone who has been a part of the Red Hat
> Ready Business Partner program as a FOSS support company

Sorry to say but I am not paying for RHEL now. just using the trial.

I want to keep both the kernels. I am thinking of saving a backup of
the present kernel and then adding a grub boot entry for both the
kernels.
I am just keen on getting comfortable with RHEL first and then
experiment with all needed.

Shakthi Kannan

Jul 22, 2009, 12:20:45 PM7/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Rohit Gupta<rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:
| Can I get the latest RHEL Kernel?
|

| Sorry to say but I am not paying for RHEL now. just using the trial.

\--

Then switch to CentOS.

---

| I am just keen on getting comfortable with RHEL first and then
| experiment with all needed.

\--

What do you mean by 'comfortable'? What are you 'experimenting'?

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Rohit Gupta

Jul 23, 2009, 4:25:17 AM7/23/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Shakthi Kannan<shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean by 'comfortable'?
friendly

>What are you 'experimenting'?

trying out thing to learn.

Swagato Paul

Jul 23, 2009, 7:50:12 AM7/23/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com

> Rohit and other RHCE wannabes on the list,
>
> If a paying customer of RHEL installs a non-RHEL kernel (as any latest
> kernel is going to be) on a paid-for RHEL box, it will invalidate the
> RHEL support agreement and license

Can I get the latest RHEL Kernel?

No. Only paying customers can get the updated packages. In fact, you need to have a subscription for downloading RHEL ISOs. I think you are using the RHEL media provided along with the course books.

Swagato

Indranil Das Gupta

Jul 23, 2009, 8:18:58 AM7/23/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Swagato Paul<swagat...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>> Rohit and other RHCE wannabes on the list,
>>
>> If a paying customer of RHEL installs a non-RHEL kernel (as any latest
>> kernel is going to be) on a paid-for RHEL box, it will invalidate the
>> RHEL support agreement and license
>>
> Can I get the latest RHEL Kernel?
>
> No. Only paying customers can get the updated packages. In fact, you need to
> have a subscription for downloading RHEL ISOs. I think you are using the
> RHEL media provided along with the course books.

Adding to that, Red Hat generally allows for evaluation. Writing to
them (or their local offices) for "eval copy" of RHEL usually works.

If you want the updates, then you can pull in from CentOS repos.
CentOS is 100% ABI compatible with RHEL binaries. In fact they are
built from the same RHEL source packages. Which is why if you wish to
"practise RHEL" just install CentOS and be happy, you will have the
same as a RHEL install except for the trademarked artwork

cheers,
-idg

> Swagato

Rohit Gupta

Jul 24, 2009, 6:47:02 AM7/24/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Rohit Gupta<rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also tried to solve my problem in IRC but failed.
>
> I was suggested to install the latest availiable Linux kernel on IRC.
> Will this help:
> http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/wiki/index.php/How_to_Install_Latest-Kernel_in_to_Linux

tried to compile the kernel in RHEL, got the error as old version of
gcc. so I downloaded the latest version of gcc.
when i tried to install gcc, there is a dependency conflict ( glibc )
which conflicts with its own older version.
the old version cannot be removed because more than thousand package
depends on it.
then I compiled the kernel in fedora 10 (make command) and did rest in
RHEL and the new kernel got installed but when I boot on this kernel,
it says kernel panic.
However, the latest kernel got very well installed in fedora (version 2.6.30).

Rangeen Basu

Jul 24, 2009, 2:31:00 PM7/24/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Rohit Gupta<rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> tried to compile the kernel in RHEL, got the error as old version of
> gcc. so I downloaded the latest version of gcc.
> when i tried to install gcc, there is a dependency conflict ( glibc )
> which conflicts with its own older version.
> the old version cannot be removed because more than thousand package
> depends on it.

Isn't that obvious?

> then I compiled the kernel in fedora 10 (make command) and did rest in
> RHEL and the new kernel got installed but when I boot on this kernel,
> it says kernel panic.
> However, the latest kernel got very well installed in fedora (version 2.6.30).

How will a kernel compiled with some other version and libraries work?
Use common sense. If you are so desperate to get a feel of RHEL, use
CentOS as idg suggested.

--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury