Final Details of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'

Rohit Gupta

Apr 5, 2009, 10:49:25 AM4/5/09
to GNU Linux User Group of KGEC
Date of inauguration: 18th April, 2009

1. The 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' will be the support and
development group for FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).
2. The membership of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' is open to all,
even from other colleges.
3. A candidate will have to Register for membership and join the
mailing list of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' to be considered as a
member.
After completing this process, the candidate will be given the
membership certificate.
4. The members of the 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' can request free
media (CD's and DVD's) of any available Linux Distribution to the core-
committee.
5. The members of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' can post all their
Linux related problems in the Mailing List and can also help with the
solution of others problem. The Mailing List also has experts from the
FOSS community to guide and help with the solution.
6. There will be a core-committee of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'
whose members will be sound in Technical Skill.
7. The core-committee will help the Linux users (support) and will use
their skills for contribution to FOSS community (Development).
8. The core-committee members will take decisions of 'GNU/Linux User
Group of KGEC' and carry on FOSS Events.
9. The core-committee members will install and maintain few computers
assigned to the 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' in Library and Computer
Labs of KGEC.
10. The core-committee members will do their work after the college
hour (since it is branch and year independent).
11. The membership of core-committee is open to all KGEC Students.
12. A candidate can get the membership of the core-committee after
completing the following process:
a. The candidate will have to be a member of 'GNU/Linux User Group
of KGEC'.
b. The candidate will have to register for membership in core-
committee.
c. The candidate will have to actively participate and work under
the guidance of the existing core committee.
d. After a month, the candidate will be considered a member of the
core-committee if the existing core-committee feels that the candidate
has worked for the core-committee and is possessing necessary
technical skills for the post. Skills Required:
i) The candidate should be able to perform installation and
configure a Linux System and use it for all basic needs (music,
internet, LAN, CD writing, etc)
ii) The candidate should have the knowledge of partitioning and
Linux file-systems.
iii) The candidate should be able to solve basic problems of
users.
e. The candidate will be given the core-committee membership
certificate.
f. If the candidate is still not well suited for the post, he/she
will have to continue his/her activities with the core-committee for
few more days as a non core-committee member. Eventually the
membership will be approved.
13. The Secretary will be the head of core-committee.
14. The President will be the head of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'.
15. The Treasurer will be in charge of all the Funds of 'GNU/Linux
User Group of KGEC'.

Secretary: Rohit Gupta (IT-2nd year, KGEC)

Presidenrt: Mr. Kousik Dasgupta (Lecturer, Dept of CSE)

Treasurer: Prof. Satadal Mal (HOD, Dept. of EE)

No. of Computers expected and Details:
a) 1 (one) in Library (already installed).
b) 5 (Five) from every Department (CSE, EE, IT, ME, ECE, MCA).
c) The maintainance of computers will be done after college hours (5
pm).
d)Each computer will have the label as "Maintained by GNU/LUG of
KGEC".

Work already Done:
1) Having Successfully conducting an installfest in KGEC. Details:
http://kgeclug.blog.co.in/
Photo Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/kgec/
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/kgeclug/KGECInstallfest09
http://www.flickr.com/photos/indradg/sets/72157614247371239/
2) Setting up a computer in the college Library which has public
access with a poster as 'Maintained by GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'.
3) Starting the Linux For You Magazine in college. Starting this month
(April '09).
4) We have the full fedora repository (25.7 GB) for Intel
architecture. So no internet connection required for installation of
additional software.
5) We have loads of many other different distributions (ubuntu, suse,
slackware, etc).
6) The setting up of full fedora repo in RBC and VC.

Membership Fees:
1. For membership of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' : Rs. 60
2. For membership in core-committee of 'GNU/Linux User Group of
KGEC' : Rs. 30

Shakthi Kannan

Apr 6, 2009, 1:18:12 AM4/6/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My thoughts below:

--- On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Rohit Gupta <rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:
| After completing this process, the candidate will be given the membership
| certificate.

\--

Why is a membership certificate required?

---

| 6.      There will be a core-committee of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'
| whose members will be sound in Technical Skill.
| 7.      The core-committee will help the Linux users (support) and will use
| their skills for contribution to FOSS community (Development).

\--

Students can also be sound in their technical skills, and can support
other users.

---

| 8.      The core-committee members will take decisions of 'GNU/Linux User
| Group of KGEC' and carry on FOSS Events.

\--

Rather, guide people when required.

---

| 9.      The core-committee members will install and maintain few computers
| assigned to the 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' in Library and Computer  Labs
| of KGEC.

\--

Students can do this.

---

| 10.     The core-committee members will do their work after the college hour
| (since it is branch and year independent).

\--

It can depend on the individual -- on their free time.

---

| 12.     A candidate can get the membership of the core-committee after
| completing the following process:

\--

This is becoming very formal!

---

|  f.   If the candidate is still not well suited for the post, he/she will
| have to continue his/her activities with the core-committee for few more
| days as a non core-committee member. Eventually the membership will be
| approved.

\--

If eventually the membership is going to approved, why would anyone
want to continue their activities?

---

| The Secretary will be the head of core-committee.

| The President will be the head of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'.

| The Treasurer will be in charge of all the Funds of 'GNU/Linux User
| Group of KGEC'.

\--

IMHO, you can have 1-3 people from the faculty/students who are
*responsible* for the group, and who can talk to the Management
regarding resources, finances etc. There is no need for a
core-committee.

Please keep things simple.

---

| Work already Done:
| 1) Having Successfully conducting an installfest in KGEC. Details:
| http://kgeclug.blog.co.in/

\--

Keep up the good work!

---

| Membership Fees:
| 1.      For membership of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' : Rs. 60
| 2.      For membership in core-committee of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' :
| Rs. 30

\--

Any reason for a membership fee? What about people who are members of
this mailing list, but, from different States in India or from other
countries?

Regards,

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

Indranil Das Gupta

Apr 6, 2009, 1:58:12 AM4/6/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My thoughts below:

> This is becoming very formal!

<snipped>

> IMHO, you can have 1-3 people from the faculty/students who are
> *responsible* for the group, and who can talk to the Management
> regarding resources, finances etc. There is no need for a
> core-committee.
>
> Please keep things simple.

I agree with Shakthi and this is something which i've expressed rather
clearly to Rohit when we have spoken over phone. As I see it so far,
KGECLUG is becoming more of form over function. Although given how
bureaucratic things often are in government institutions, a formal
interface may be necessary. However, the student activities should be
kept as informal as possible with room for freedom.

I've a few questions to the members of KGECLUG on this list

a) how many of you are actually using GNU/Linux on your desktop ?

b) I don't really see members asking tech questions on this list (this
list is functioning more like an announcement list) which leads me to
surmise

b.i) people using GNU/Linux at KGECLUG are expert, power users and are
capable of solving their problems

b.ii) the KGECLUG members do not have internet access to interact on
the mailing list (a hard to believe option)

b.iii) the KGECLUG members are having problems, but these are getting
solved off-line through in-person, peer interaction.

Now,

if the answer is b. i) then externals experts do not have much role
here, because there is nothing to observe, comment or give feedback
to, or lessons to take back from here.

if the answer is b.ii) then this mailing list serves no purpose, any Q
& A here is not likely to be accessible to the members

if the answer is b. iii) then thats great, but without a structured
online documentation of the problems and their solutions, it becomes
isolated and cut away from the global community. also there is no
knowledge base created that people can be directed to.

my thoughts

-idg

Debayan Banerjee

Apr 7, 2009, 11:52:40 AM4/7/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/6 Shakthi Kannan <shakt...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> My thoughts below:
>
> --- On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Rohit Gupta <rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | After completing this process, the candidate will be given the membership
> | certificate.
> \--
>
> Why is a membership certificate required?

A membership certificate is fine. Its fine because it doesnt matter if
you give it or not. For the few people who do care if they get a
certificate or not, it keeps them happy, for others its fine anyways.
And then you might say that people who want certificates are not
worthy LUG members. That is not true. We have students doing a great
job teaching openoffice to school teachers here
<http://sherry151.blogspot.com/2009/04/first-iota-teachers-foss-training-nit.html>
and they want certificates as well. Its documented appreciation from
our side, and something to show TCS interviewers :)

> ---
> | 6.      There will be a core-committee of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'
> | whose members will be sound in Technical Skill.
> | 7.      The core-committee will help the Linux users (support) and will use
> | their skills for contribution to FOSS community (Development).
> \--
>
> Students can also be sound in their technical skills, and can support
> other users.

It is being assumed that those who are sound technically will be in
the core committee.

> ---
> | 8.      The core-committee members will take decisions of 'GNU/Linux User
> | Group of KGEC' and carry on FOSS Events.
> \--
>
> Rather, guide people when required.

Decision makers are also required. In an institution (like NIT
Durgapur) there are so many tough decisions to make. There are other
clubs fighting for dates, venues, money. There are disputes between
members. There are issues like who would be the best person as faculty
advisor.
You will need them during fests/events. Normally all you need is a mailing list.

> ---
> | 9.      The core-committee members will install and maintain few computers
> | assigned to the 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC' in Library and Computer  Labs
> | of KGEC.
> \--
>
> Students can do this.

Core committee = students who are proficient at using GNU/Linux or
those are gifted in other skills that your group requires

> ---
> | 12.     A candidate can get the membership of the core-committee after
> | completing the following process:
> \--
>
> This is becoming very formal!

Being formal is ok. Otherwise it creates disputes and claims of
partiality etc. It is ok to set a benchmark for people to achieve.
But use the list of competencies mentioned by you as a guideline, not a rule.

> ---
> |  f.   If the candidate is still not well suited for the post, he/she will
> | have to continue his/her activities with the core-committee for few more
> | days as a non core-committee member. Eventually the membership will be
> | approved.
> \--
>
> If eventually the membership is going to approved, why would anyone
> want to continue their activities?

In my opinion let the core committee vote on whether a candidate is
ready to be inducted. Set a benchmark for yourselves.

One important thing: in an institutional LUG members != Linux users.
You may have members in your core committee who is a good speaker and
a good artist and does not use Linux. You should focus on teaching
him/her Linux later, but you may induct her/him for her/his skills.

> ---
> | The Secretary will be the head of core-committee.
> | The President will be the head of 'GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC'.
> | The Treasurer will be in charge of all the Funds of 'GNU/Linux User
> | Group of KGEC'.
> \--
>
> IMHO, you can have 1-3 people from the faculty/students who are
> *responsible* for the group, and who can talk to the Management
> regarding resources, finances etc. There is no need for a
> core-committee.
>
> Please keep things simple.

Faculty support is good, but they are mostly busy and you can not
expect them to devote a lot of time to your activities. Students will
take bulk of the decisions. You have to present to the professors
ready made plans so they can take their pick.
A core committee is a way of making sure you are taking decisions that
make sense. Some times (most of the times actually) you fail to see
flaws in your group once you are a core part of it, and someone on the
periphery sees it crystal clear. Make a feedback mechanism that lets
the information from the periphery flow in to you.
Mailing list is one way. Another better way is to have people from
different branches, years in the committee. Talk to them regularly to
get a feel of what the people truly want.
Apart from that a core-committee (core-community?) is indispensible
during events/fests when you need people who are good at speaking,
drawing, handling money, getting transportation etc.
Normal working of a LUG does not require a core committee. A mailing
list suffices.

> Any reason for a membership fee? What about people who are members of
> this mailing list, but, from different States in India or from other
> countries?

@ Rohit
You may charge the Rs 60 from people in Kalyani but not from your
college. That is fine. Support them in which ever way you can in lieu.
30 Rs is ok for students.
Membership fee is the only source of funds for a LUG in a college. One
can not even get a banner painted without that.

My n paise.

--
Be Intelligent, Use GNU/Linux

http://debayanin.googlepages.com/
http://debayan.wordpress.com
http://lug.nitdgp.ac.in

Shakthi Kannan

Apr 8, 2009, 12:02:24 AM4/8/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--- On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Debayan Banerjee

<deba...@gmail.com> wrote:
| For the few people who do care if they get a
| certificate or not, it keeps them happy, for others its fine anyways.

\--

And how would one differentiate if people are joining in for FOSS, and
not just for the certificate?

People work with FOSS because they enjoy the power of it and the
learning experience that comes with it, and that is what keeps them
motivated in continuing to use it.

---

| Being formal is ok. Otherwise it creates disputes and claims of
| partiality etc.

\--

This also happens when you have a core-committee :) People will always
question the credibility and decision-making of a working body or
group ... (1)

---

| In my opinion let the core committee vote on whether a candidate is
| ready to be inducted.

\--

An example for (1).

---

| You may have members in your core committee who is a good speaker and
| a good artist and does not use Linux. You should focus on teaching
| him/her Linux later, but you may induct her/him for her/his skills.

\--

... and what is the guarantee that the member will persist to use
GNU/Linux after becoming a member of the core committee? You can't
predict the future. You can only make decisions on what is on your
plate.

If he/she is able to use their skills with FOSS, it is a proven case
that they can help others in this regard, and deserve to be in the
committee.

---

| Some times (most of the times actually) you fail to see
| flaws in your group once you are a core part of it, and someone on the
| periphery sees it crystal clear. Make a feedback mechanism that lets
| the information from the periphery flow in to you.

\--

But, the system will fail if the core-committee is biased. And that is
where people start questioning partiality and have disputes.

---

| Normal working of a LUG does not require a core committee.

\--

So, why add unnecessary complexity when you can do without one?

Just my thoughts,