reuse yum data

Abhijit Mondal

Jan 13, 2010, 12:31:08 PM1/13/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
I hv installed VLC using YUM in Fedora11.
How can I reuse that downloads in another PC?

Abhijit Mondal
Final Year Student,
Kalyani Government Engineering College,
Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal,
India-741235.

Mukesh Barman

Jan 13, 2010, 1:19:26 PM1/13/10
to GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC
yum by default deletes all the downloaded packages after installation

the path where it caches is /var/cache/yum/<repository name>/packages

packages might reside in diff dirs according to the repos downloaded
from.

1.you can look in this dir while the downloading is going on.
one solution would be to copy all the packages while the downloading
is complete
and the installation is running.But this has to be done very quickly

2.there's a plugin for yum called downloadonly .when specified yum
doesnot
delete the packages after installtion.

$yum install vlc --downloadonly

so the packages could then be copied from the cache dir later

3.other elegant soution would be to edit the conf file of yum
(beauty)
i.e. /etc/yum.conf and add a parameter as

keepcache=1

this would do the same as in sol 2 , without any extra arguments.

all the steps performed in Fedora 11

Mukesh Barman
Final Year
Dept of Computer Science and Engg.
NIT Jalandhar
fedora leonidas

Satadal Mal

Jan 14, 2010, 6:40:13 AM1/14/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Dear Abhijit,
Would you meet me in the Department ? I would like to load Fedora11 on a PC and  set to Internet.
Help me in this regard.

S Mal

Spread FOSS. Learn, have Fun, develop.

--
Satadal Mal
Professor & Head,

Satadal Mal

Jan 14, 2010, 6:52:28 AM1/14/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
I am interested to install "HP Scanjet G2410" on UBUNTU. Would you help me ?

S Mal

Abhijit Mondal

Jan 14, 2010, 7:02:56 AM1/14/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sir,
  I will go to clg college tomorrow. I will meet you around 11:30am

Abhijit Mondal
Final Year Student,
Kalyani Government Engineering College,
Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal,
India-741235.

Satadal Mal

Jan 16, 2010, 12:56:41 PM1/16/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Abhijit. Fedora 11 is working OK for Internet. You arrange to install the Printer.

Secondly, Scanner driver for  "HP Scanjet G2410"  on UBUNTU has to be loaded. I have downloaded the driver for the scanner from Internet. You help me to load it on UBUNTU. You may consult with Rohit also in this regard.

S Mal

Abhijit Mondal

Jan 16, 2010, 12:59:10 PM1/16/10
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Ami monday jodi kalyani te thaki to ami monday printer ta install kore debo. noile porer week-e.
actually I am planing to go home next week.

Abhijit Mondal
Final Year Student,
Kalyani Government Engineering College,
Kalyani, Nadia, West Bengal,