how to APACHE

1 view

Rohit Gupta

Jun 21, 2009, 5:19:30 PM6/21/09
to GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC
I have been setting up Apache HTTP server in fedora on my computer,
but now i also want to use it in ubuntu and open suse.
in fedora, i just added content to the directory /var/www/html/ and it
worked. how to do it elsewhere, there's no such directory.

thanks

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
GLUG KGEC

Debayan Banerjee

Jun 22, 2009, 12:32:15 AM6/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com

2009/6/22 Rohit Gupta <rohit...@gmail.com>

I have been setting up Apache HTTP server in fedora on my computer,
but now i also want to use it in ubuntu and open suse.
in fedora, i just added content to the directory /var/www/html/ and it
worked. how to do it elsewhere, there's no such directory.

In openSuSE it exists under /srv/www/htdocs

thanks

Regards:
Rohit Gupta
GLUG KGEC

--
Regards,
Debayan Banerjee

Support Free Software
http://deeproot.in

Manish

Jun 22, 2009, 3:19:07 AM6/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Rohit Gupta <rohit...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have been setting up Apache HTTP server in fedora on my computer,
but now i also want to use it in ubuntu and open suse.
in fedora, i just added content to the directory /var/www/html/ and it
worked. how to do it elsewhere, there's no such directory.

Under Ubuntu it exists under /var/www (not /var/www/html)
If you have installed Apache, this directory will surely be there.

--
Manish Sinha

Mukesh Barman

Jun 21, 2009, 5:42:27 PM6/21/09
to GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC
I dont have much experience of http in ubuntu
but i have tried it once.

The way I would search in fedora is first look for httpd.conf file,
may be apache2.conf in ubuntu
locate these files by

locate httpd.conf

and then search for DocumentRoot path in that file.

From what i remember it is a htdocs dir.

Manish

Jun 22, 2009, 4:26:08 AM6/22/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
For Ubuntu, look for apache2.conf file in */etc/apache2/* directory.

If you want to change the DocumentRoot look in the file */etc/apache2/sites-available/default*

Indranil Das Gupta

Jun 24, 2009, 3:01:28 AM6/24/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Manish <manish...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For Ubuntu, look for apache2.conf file in */etc/apache2/* directory.
>
> If you want to change the DocumentRoot look in the file */etc/apache2/sites-available/default*

Just remember that with Debian styled FS layout for Apache2, you
*would* need to ensure that /etc/apache2/sites-available/<sites> are
symlinked to /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/<sites>. The default site is
always enabled by default, but for vhosts you would need to do the
needful. Either by hand or use the a2ensite script.

cheers
-idg