no grub menu and no dual boot problem despite having files of both operating systems installed

Sunil Kr. Koiri

May 20, 2009, 3:29:19 AM5/20/09
to GNU/Linux User Group of KGEC
i had windowsxp and fedora 10 in my machine. For some reason i had to
reinstall windowsxp. After reinstallation i found that the grub menu
do not appear any more and directly windowsxp boots.
when i checked the partiotions of my hard drive through windows i
found everything all right.
i have : c-drive of windows and 200mb boot partition for fedora in
my primary partition and all other drives are in extended partition
including root partition for fedora 10.
But when i checked the partition through g parted by using a live cd
of ubuntu i , it displays my entire hard drive as 'unallocated'
I do not understand how the problem,what is happening around in my
hard drive.
When i treied to check the 'grub.conf ' file in /etc
folder . it displayed that link to /media/_boot/grub/
grub.conf is broken
I haven't done anything with any file of Fedora10

So how can i correct my grub.conf file and get back the grub menu for
booting both the operating system i.e., windowsxp and fedora 10 ?

eagerly waiting for a reply
regards
Sunil Kumar Koiri
KGEC

Arindam Ghosh

May 20, 2009, 4:24:57 AM5/20/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Sunil Kr. Koiri <sunba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So how can i correct my grub.conf file and get back the grub menu for
> booting both the operating system i.e., windowsxp and fedora 10 ?

google search "rescue fedora 10"

--Arindam

Aveek Sen

May 20, 2009, 5:35:49 AM5/20/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Insert the Fedora DVD again & boot using it.

Repair & reinstall the GRUB.

That will solve the problem.

HTH,
Aveek Sen,
First year student of Electronics & Comminication Engineering,
Fedora Ambassador,
NIT Agartala,
India.

ave...@gmail.com
avee...@fedoraproject.org
av...@hotmail.com

Our GLUG-http://groups.google.co.in/group/nitalug
My blog-http://aveek.wordpress.com/
My Fedora wiki page- https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Aveeksen

The Fedora events listing of our Linux
fest-https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents
The Fedora Release Events listing of our Linux
fest-https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/ReleaseEvents

sankarshan

May 20, 2009, 6:20:07 AM5/20/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Sunil Kr. Koiri <sunba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So how can i correct my grub.conf file and get back the grub menu for
> booting both the operating system i.e., windowsxp and fedora 10 ?

I am assuming that you have never done this. So, use the F10 disk to
boot your system and choose the "Rescue ..." option to get into the
rescue mode. Follow the instructions carefully because they would ask
you to do chroot. Once you are into the chroot, try and figure using
fdisk -l which device needs to have the grub install (for most cases
it would be /dev/sda) use grub-install to load the grub on to the
device. Read up the man page for grub-install if you aren't confident.

--
You see things; and you say 'Why?';
But I dream things that never were;

Sent from Pune, MH, India

fedora

May 20, 2009, 10:41:02 PM5/20/09
to kge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Check this link.

http://opensourcenuts.com/how-to/redhat/grub.php

In case of Fedora, you have to select rescue mode, and rest of the process
is same. These steps were tested on RHEL 4. Let me know if you still find
problem.

Sunil Datta
www.opensourcenuts.com