Error while using SSL

David Vermeir

May 22, 2014, 5:02:55 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to use the SSL 'only' mode for keystone with a self-signed certificate but when I try to start the server I get the following error:
crypto.js:104
  if (options.cert) c.context.setCert(options.cert);
                              ^
Error: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line
  at Object.exports.createCredentials (crypto.js:104:31)
  at Server (tls.js:1130:28)
  at new Server (https.js:35:14)
  at Object.exports.createServer (https.js:54:10)...

I tried it with a seperate key/csr file and with a single file in the pem format. Same error on both.

Nicolas Embleton

May 22, 2014, 5:11:40 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Is your cert readable to the node user (permissions)?  What's the CERT path + filename?

Seems the problem is from the Cert itself.

David Vermeir

May 22, 2014, 5:20:13 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I'm testing this on a local server so the path is the following
'ssl key': 'server.pem',
'ssl cert': 'server.pem'

David Vermeir

May 22, 2014, 5:23:31 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I found the problem. When you follow the Heroku docs on creating a key, you end up with 3 files. A .crt, .csr and .key.

I mistakenly concatenated the csr and key instead of the crt and key into a pem file.

Nicolas Embleton

May 22, 2014, 5:24:48 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Those 2 files should not be the same. How did you generate your files? There should be another file with it.

If you look here, you can see the difference: http://nodejs.org/api/https.html

Nicolas Embleton

May 22, 2014, 5:28:39 AM5/22/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Oh gotcha. Cool.

Cheers,
Nicolas.

farbod Aprin

Jun 19, 2018, 9:42:34 AM6/19/18
to Keystone JS
openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -new -nodes -keyout key.pem -out csr.pem
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in csr.pem -signkey key.pem -out server.crt

had same Error before,  on Mac I have three file which were needed .ca .crt .key