recommended hosting for keystone.js based website

Nicolas P.

Sep 10, 2014, 3:55:54 AM9/10/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

i'm about to deploy a website based on keystone.js, with fs based images. So far i've seen gandi.net & heroku.com (not sure i'd have access to FS with this), any other ideas?

Thanks,
Nicolas

Shaun Baker

Sep 10, 2014, 12:11:30 PM9/10/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 Keystone apps running on DigitalOcean

Nicolas P.

Sep 15, 2014, 8:19:45 AM9/15/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
Thx Shaun, seems cool! can i ask for your setup and the resulting price?

MrBliz

Sep 24, 2014, 4:59:58 PM9/24/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I've hosted one on Azure, which is about 8 GBP a month, using the free tier of Mongolab for storage

Mike Grabowski

Sep 25, 2014, 9:41:17 AM9/25/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
+1 for DigitalOcean @ShaunBaker. The second one runs on Heroku without any problems as well.

Kraig Hufstedler

Sep 29, 2014, 10:52:06 AM9/29/14
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I've been running an app on Digital Ocean using PM2 (https://github.com/Unitech/pm2) and its pretty great.

Also thinking about checking out https://modulus.io/ - looks pretty solid, and includes a lot for the cheapest tier.

My biggest reason to switch to more of a managed service is that keystone (and node in general) can be a little finicky. I don't want to have to manually restart the process after a crash. Hopefully a managed solution would help ease some of the pain.

Stefan Osorio

Jul 18, 2015, 11:35:04 AM7/18/15
to keyst...@googlegroups.com
I played araound with DigitalOcean a bit, but I don't know if I want the full burden of server administration - especially regarding security.
Modulus sounds good - but their cheapest tier seems to offer quite a bit less than heroku's (192MB vs 512MB RAM, 64MB vs. 512MB(via MongoHQ) Database).
Access to a local filesystem seems nice to have though.

Is there anything about Modulus' offering that I'm missing?
I somehow really want to like them, but the servos seem much more expensive than heroku's.

Kraig Hufstedler

Jul 21, 2015, 4:25:11 PM7/21/15
to Keystone JS
I've actually switched to Modulus.io and have been running on it for the last 6 months or so. On paper it's definitely a little bit less for the money than Heroku, but I've been pretty happy with the service. I did end up scaling to two instances, which I would highly recommend. If a node process crashes for whatever reason, it'll just direct traffic to your other instance while reloading the app on the first. If you only have one, your site will be unavailable while it restarts.

Damiano Viscardi

Jul 25, 2015, 12:38:35 PM7/25/15
to Keystone JS, peltier...@gmail.com
I use Elastic Beanstalk by Amazon Web Services. With the Free Tier that they offer, you can host on a dedicated Linux machine for 12 months.
Quite easy to deploy, and even easier with Grunt – check out awsebtdeploy module.

Note: use Keystone 0.3.9 for now, as there are compiling issue with node-gyp on Keystone 0.3.10 and above. However, Amazon updates the Linux image very frequently and the issue could be fixed soon, if not already.
Message has been deleted

Tatyabala Emmanuel

Dec 20, 2018, 8:11:31 AM12/20/18
to Keystone JS
I don't see hosting options on modulus.io, Do you mind sending me the url for hosting

Jiri Benes

Jan 27, 2019, 7:36:13 PM1/27/19
to Keystone JS
I will have ready Plesk with nodejs and Git integration hosting website where you can try it for free in beta.