Fragile tools? I'm heeding the call

stephenfickas

Jun 1, 2009, 8:34:11 PM6/1/09
to Keynote discussion, Carlo Ghezzi, ICSE09
One of the things I took away from Carlo's talk was the lack of
repeatability of tool-based SE experiments. He argued that if one
wanted to replicate a tool-based study appearing in the literature,
good luck: can't access tool; won't run out of context of original
lab; etc.
I decided to take up his challenge. I am going to do my best to put
one of the tools my group uses and reports on into the public sector.
We have used this tool to run several empirically-based experiments in
personalization.
I am going to ignore the worry
that we will get pestered by tech support questions. I suppose the
best thing that could happen is we do get questions: at least someone
is interested in replicating our work!