Support for dual X screens?

gb2312

Jan 3, 2011, 4:32:00 PM1/3/11
to keynav-users
Hi,

I'm running debian with two separate X screens (as commonly used
with Nvidia driver). It seems I can only use keynav on the screen I
started it, even if the keyboard focus is on another screen.

Is there any option to let keynav popup on the screen with focus?

I also tried to start two instances of keynav on different screens,
but the second one failed with:

X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private
resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request: 33 (X_GrabKey)
Serial number of failed request: 19

I know Xinerama or other setup to combine two monitors into
a single X screen is probably the preferred way, but having two
individual screens (with individual viewports) does have it's
benefits...
--
gb2312

Jordan Sissel

Jan 3, 2011, 4:43:45 PM1/3/11
to keynav...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM, gb2312 <gb2...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

 I'm running debian with two separate X screens (as commonly used
with Nvidia driver). It seems I can only use keynav on the screen I
started it, even if the keyboard focus is on another screen.

I'm reasonably certain TwinView (Nvidia's Xinerama) is most common, but that's perhaps unrelated ;)

 Is there any option to let keynav popup on the screen with focus?

it should work, but I haven't tested this in quite some time. If you are having problems, then I believe that it is not working.

What version of keynav?

If I test the latest version I have in Xephyr with two screens (Xephyr -screen 1024x768 -screen 1024x768) I see that the 'screen' wrapping isn't working correctly, but that the mouse is correctly moved.

 I also tried to start two instances of keynav on different screens,
but the second one failed with:

X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
resource denied)
 Major opcode of failed request:  33 (X_GrabKey)
 Serial number of failed request:  19
 Current serial number in output stream:  26

 I know Xinerama or other setup to combine two monitors into
a single X screen is probably the preferred way, but having two
individual screens (with individual viewports) does have it's
benefits...

I'll try to fix it for separate displays.

-Jordan

gb2312

Jan 4, 2011, 1:38:15 PM1/4/11
to keynav-users
On Jan 3, 4:43 pm, Jordan Sissel <j...@semicomplete.com> wrote:

> What version of keynav?

I'm running the debian sid package version 0.20100623.2958-2

$ keynav -v
keynav 0.20100623.2958

Upon more testing, I believe the only problem seems to the wireframe
window only shows on the initial display, the actions (space or
semicolon)
work fine.

So when mouse (and focus) is on the second monitor, activate keynav
and I have the wireframe window on the first monitor; using hjkl I can
adjust the wireframe position on the first monitor, ending with space/
semicolon
changes the position of mouse on second monitor.

My guess is that there is no need to start two instances of keynav,
the only thing needed is to display the wireframe window on active
screen.
No idea whether this is possible with only single instance...

--
gb2312