Windows support plan?

ConcreteVitamin

Jan 30, 2011, 10:07:30 AM1/30/11
to keynav...@googlegroups.com
This little tool is driving me very happy... except one thing, for some reasons I have to stay under Windows 7 for most of the time.

Do you guys have a schedule of bring it to Windows?

Krister Svanlund

Jan 31, 2011, 4:25:37 PM1/31/11
to keynav...@googlegroups.com
Making keynav for windows would most likely require a completely new
application anyhow, as far as I know most of the code is very
X11-specific.

Jordan Sissel

Jan 31, 2011, 4:41:38 PM1/31/11
to keynav...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM, ConcreteVitamin <concret...@gmail.com> wrote:
This little tool is driving me very happy... except one thing, for some reasons I have to stay under Windows 7 for most of the time.

Do you guys have a schedule of bring it to Windows?

Once upon a time someone got a prototype of it working in Windows, but I think that was just for play purposes and is now abandonware  Helpful google search: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22keynav.net%22

Making the current keynav code work in Windows would require some pretty serious refactoring, but I'm happy to take patches that make it happen. Currently it is not on my radar for writing since I don't use Windows much these days.

-Jordan

Wesley Shields

Feb 1, 2011, 8:27:27 AM2/1/11
to keynav...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 01:41:38PM -0800, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM, ConcreteVitamin
> <concret...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > This little tool is driving me very happy... except one thing, for some
> > reasons I have to stay under Windows 7 for most of the time.
> >
> > Do you guys have a schedule of bring it to Windows?
> >

> Once upon a time someone got a prototype of it working in Windows, but I
> think that was just for play purposes and is now abandonware Helpful google
> search:
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22keynav.net%22
>
> Making the current keynav code work in Windows would require some pretty
> serious refactoring, but I'm happy to take patches that make it happen.
> Currently it is not on my radar for writing since I don't use Windows much
> these days.

An old port I have (based upon the code in the link above) is available
at http://www.atarininja.org/keynav/Keynav.NET-20080529.zip. It's very
old, probably has a memory leak and doesn't support any of the newer
things. Might want to use it, might want to just get rid of it and start
over. Either way, do with the code what you want. I don't use Windows
anymore... If anyone has an OS X port that might be fun...

-- WXS