Re: Can a file encrypted with KeyCzar be decrypted using another set of cryptography tools?

Shawn Willden

Oct 20, 2015, 10:35:47 AM10/20/15
to Keyczar Discuss
They don't have to have Keyczar, but it makes their life much easier.

The primitives used by Keyczar are standard, as are the methods used to combine them, but there are a lot of small choices that have to be made. And then Keyczar formats the encrypted messages in a particular way. So the receiver would have to write code to parse the message format, then perform the standard operations in the right way. This isn't hard, really, but the easiest way to do it is to use the Keyczar code that already does it :)

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM Colby Malo <cmalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I'm new to cryptography and certainly new to KeyCzar. I'm trying to understand what I need to implement to be able to encrypt a file in my program, send it to another person who would then decrypt the file using their system. Does the receiver have to use KeyCzar to decrypt or can they use their own set of tools just by knowing the type of encryption (in my case I want to use AES-256) and respective key?