KeyCzar paper incorrect?

Maarten Bodewes

Oct 13, 2015, 4:08:52 PM10/13/15
to Keyczar Discuss
In 6.2 the paper states (in the first and second table):

Header | IV (if any) | Encrypt(M) | Sign(header | IV | M) (if any)

This seems incorrect to me, if I look e.g. at the Java source code it seems encrypt-then-sign is used, not encrypt-and-sign:

      verifyStream.updateVerify(ciphertextChunk);

In other words, I would expect:

Header | IV (if any) | Encrypt(M) | Sign(header | IV | Encrypt(M)) (if any)

Would it be possible to update the paper, or make clear it is deprecated by now?

Steve Weis

Oct 13, 2015, 4:13:59 PM10/13/15
to Keyczar Discuss
You're right that this is a typo. That paper is very out of date and should probably be removed or revised completely.

devin lundberg

Oct 13, 2015, 4:18:27 PM10/13/15
to keyczar...@googlegroups.com