iOS library to use to generated encrypted content readable by Keyczar

Sriram Karra

Dec 24, 2015, 3:20:49 PM12/24/15
to Keyczar Discuss
I am in the early stages of design of an app that will eventually be on iOS and Android, talking to a server on Google AppEngine. The apps will exchange encrypted data with the server using a REST API. I am looking for a simple crypto solution that can encrypt / decrypt / hash content created on any of the 3 platforms. I just found Keyczar and love the simplicity and the design choices made. Can anyone comment on where I should look for the iOS part?

On a related note if there's a simpler cross-platform solution for my problem - (like use AES 256 whatever and that works everywhere, sort of thing)

Will Sargent

Dec 24, 2015, 3:48:10 PM12/24/15
to keyczar...@googlegroups.com, Sriram Karra

Hi Sriram,

I would look at libsodium (or a wrapper on top) rather than Keyczar at this stage, considering your requirements.

https://download.libsodium.org/doc/bindings_for_other_languages/index.html

Looking at the bindings list, there are a couple of libraries for Android, Swift, Objective C, and Java (I prefer Kalium but YMMV).

The “encrypt / decrypt / hash” bit is authenticated encryption, which you can do with:

https://download.libsodium.org/doc/secret-key_cryptography/authenticated_encryption.html

The wrappers will have slightly different ways to call this, for instance, Kalium has SecretBox class:

https://github.com/abstractj/kalium/blob/master/src/main/java/org/abstractj/kalium/crypto/SecretBox.java

but it’s well maintained and has an extremely wide user base.

Will.