getting error User with email xyz@example.com already exists. Please login to account management to link the account.

sandeep rawat

May 4, 2021, 1:42:57 AM5/4/21
to Keycloak User
Hi,

I have configured an external identity provider in keycloak server. I have created the same user in keycloak server as well as in  external IDP due to some limitation of my application.

 When I tried to login into my application through this external IDP it shows me this message "User with email x...@example.com already exists. Please login to account management to link the account."

So, is it possible to login via an external IDP user although the same user exists in keycloak?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandeep Singh Rawat
2021-05-04_11h10_20.png

Tony Harris

May 4, 2021, 5:26:47 AM5/4/21
to sandeep rawat, Keycloak User
Keycloak creates a user account locally that is linked to your external IDP account upon first login.  This way you can manage keycloak roles, groups and attributes in Keycloak.  If it detects a none IDP user account with the same email address it will offer you this option, you can choose to link the accounts or not.  if you link the account you will need to enter your existing Keycloak password for this account in order to confirm your identity.  You can only have one user in a realm with an email address so if you opt not to merge the accounts you will have to login with your Keycloak account details only.

Navin Kaushik

May 25, 2021, 12:40:09 AM5/25/21
to Keycloak User
During the import of users into Keycloak, you may link it with external idp and that way it may not prompt for the linking.