keycloak as a login interface for applications without code source for iam service

Ines El Haj Ahmed

Jun 3, 2024, 12:42:22 PMJun 3
to Keycloak User

Hello,

I want to use Keycloak as the Identity and Access Management (IAM) service for my application. My goal is to have the Keycloak login page appear first, and then, if the user is authorized by Keycloak, they can access the rest of the application.

However, I do not have access to the application's source code. I tried configuring a client in Keycloak and added a user to this client, but it didn't work as expected.

Could someone guide me on how to properly set up Keycloak for this scenario? Specifically, I need to know:

Is it possible to integrate Keycloak without the application's source code? What are the necessary steps to configure Keycloak for this type of integration? Are there any common pitfalls or additional configurations that I might be missing?

Thank you for your help!

A. Schulze

Jun 4, 2024, 4:32:21 AMJun 4
to keyclo...@googlegroups.com

'Ines El Haj Ahmed' via Keycloak User:

> I want to use Keycloak as the Identity and Access Management (IAM) service
> for my application. My goal is to have the Keycloak login page appear
> first, and then, if the user is authorized by Keycloak, they can access the
> rest of the application.

I've applications only need to know "there was a successful authentication"
https://oauth2-proxy.github.io/oauth2-proxy/ works well for that job

Andreas

Thomas Darimont

Jun 5, 2024, 9:36:36 AMJun 5
to Keycloak User
Hello,

There are many options you have here to guard applications behind an identity aware reverse-proxy without changing the code of your application (too much).
However, if you want to make the target application identity aware you might still need to adapt the target application a bit to extract the identity informationen provided by the proxy.

Some additional options besides the oauth2-proxy mentioned by Andreas
https://github.com/OpenIDC/mod_auth_openidc in combination with Apache HTTP server

Cheers,
Thomas

Garth