[BUG]: can hide IDP Providers from the login screen

Vilmos Nagy

Sep 12, 2022, 7:08:17 AM9/12/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

We've found a bug in Keycloak, where one of the Identity Provider options (eg.: Google / Facebook) can be hidden from the login screen. For detailed steps to reproduce, see this issue please: https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/issues/14173

This bug is present in Keycloak 15.1.1 and Keycloak 19.0.1 as well.

I've created a PR to fix it, see: https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/pull/14174

Could you take a look, please?

Thanks,
Regards,
Vilmos

Zakaria A.

Sep 12, 2022, 11:33:36 AM9/12/22
to Keycloak Dev
I was not able to reproduce on the site you provided (video attached)

I also tried on a personal instance that runs Keycloak 19.0.1, but I was not able to reproduce

2022-09-12 17-31-02.flv

Vilmos Nagy

Sep 12, 2022, 11:52:04 AM9/12/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me clarify: you have to finish the flow on the identity provider's side.
We have turned on the review profile step in the First Broker flow (so the user is not created when they are returned from the social site), see the attached pic.

And I've created a screen recording as well if that helps.

Regards,
review_profile_on.png
screenrecord.webm

Vilmos Nagy

Sep 15, 2022, 7:11:04 AM9/15/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi Zakaria,

Have you had the chance to think about the last discussion on the PR? :)

Thanks,
Regards,
Vilmos

Zakaria A.

Sep 16, 2022, 5:25:10 AM9/16/22
to Keycloak Dev

Hi Vilmos, Let's wait to get a second opinion on the PR. Based on my experience, this may take some time.

Vilmos Nagy

Sep 16, 2022, 9:45:32 AM9/16/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

(I think I've already sent this e-mail, but I don't see it anywhere... so sorry, if I'm sending it the second time...)

Thanks for your reply. Do you or anyone else in the Keycloak dev community have any suggestion on how to improve the chances of my PRs?

I've had 2 PRs to Keycloak previously, and the following happened to them:
  • #10444: The issue was left there for months without any reply. I created the PR ~3 months after the issue, and it was only merged when someone else commented on the issue after another ~6 months. The whole process took ~9 months.
  • #9218: this was a small OutOfBoundsException fix, but no one cared (my issue). The issue was reported half a year later, and almost the same PR was created again. The second PR was merged.
Neither of these three issues are big, I know. (But to be honest, #9218 broke existing Keycloak installations even if we were able to work around that). But I'd be very happy if we could close the related issue on our internal issue tracker.

The CONTRIBUTING.md file says the following: „The best place to ping us is on the thread you started on the dev mailing list.”

My questions are (and I'll warmly welcome any help, or suggestions from anyone, really):
  • What can I do to improve the chances of these PRs? We'd like to use Keycloak at more and more places, but we ran into these kinds of small bugs a lot. I'm happy to debug these and provide detailed bug reports, even fixes. But it's a bit demotivating if these PRs are left there to rot, and I cannot close the issue in our issue tracker after hours went into it.
  • If I'm planning to ping this thread according to contributing guidelines, what's the best frequency to do it?
Thanks for your reply,
Regards,

Vilmos Nagy

Sep 29, 2022, 7:40:54 AM9/29/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

Can anyone help me getting this fix merged? :)

Thanks,
Vilmos

Vilmos Nagy

Oct 26, 2022, 7:29:48 AM10/26/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

I've created some tests for this PR, 'cause the `missing/tests` label was put on it a couple of days ago.

I'd be grateful if any of you would have the time to review it.

Thanks,
Regards,
Vilmos

Vilmos Nagy

Oct 27, 2022, 10:19:41 AM10/27/22
to Keycloak Dev
I've rewritten the tests so they don't use Mockito anymore :)

Please review,
Regards,

Vilmos Nagy

Nov 7, 2022, 3:43:04 AM11/7/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

Can anyone review this Pull Request? I've rewritten the tests without mockito :)

Regards,
Vilmos

Vilmos Nagy

Nov 17, 2022, 6:48:40 AM11/17/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hi,

I've rebased this one-liner fix onto the current main branch.
If anyone would have ~5 mins to review it, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,
Vilmos