What in the world is going on: very weird charchters when saving Authenticators config

Zakaria A.

Nov 2, 2022, 4:34:10 PM11/2/22
to Keycloak Dev
Hello everyone,

on a fresh Keycloak instance (version 20.0.0), when I try to save any authenticator config I see glass emojis 🍺 instead of dots in the database record. Here is what I am seeing now when running: select * from authenticator_config_entry;

keycloak_config.png

Steps for reproducing: in the admin -> going to Authentication menu -> selecting some flow (e.g first broker login flow) -> clicking on the settings icon on some step that allows configuration -> changing the configuation and clicking on save -> examining the HTTP request and the authenticator_config_entry table

This also breaks the logic inside authenticators because it prevents sometimes from doing the right comparison (update🍺profile🍺on🍺first🍺login is obviously not equal to update.profile.on.first.login), for example here:

Is this Joke ? or something that mistakenly made its way to upstream ?

Thomas Darimont

Nov 2, 2022, 6:56:24 PM11/2/22
to Keycloak Dev
This is wired!

Which Java Version are you using to run Keycloak?

Stan Silvert

Nov 2, 2022, 8:12:20 PM11/2/22
to Thomas Darimont, Keycloak Dev
This looks like a bug in the new admin console.  We will fix it very soon.  The old console seems to save the config correctly.  So you can switch to that for the time being.

Zakaria A.

Nov 3, 2022, 7:49:26 AM11/3/22
to Keycloak Dev
I see that a fix has been merged already, this is great

I am wondering if this requires a fix from the backend side as well. Since many of such charachters have  possibly made their way to the database, then this would need something like a clean up migration ? to replace all the 🍺 with dots