Moving to GitHub Issues

Stian Thorgersen

Nov 8, 2021, 7:14:28 AM11/8/21
to Keycloak Dev
All,

We have now finally enabled GitHub Issues in all repositories, and are working on phasing out JIRA completely.

We're making the switch from JIRA to GitHub Issues with Keycloak 16 release, which is due any day now.

To keep the changes for Keycloak 16 in one place, all PRs merged prior to the Keycloak 16 release must refer to a JIRA.

After the Keycloak 16 release all PRs must refer to a GitHub Issue. Already open PRs do not need to be updated, and we will take care of creating a GitHub Issue on your behalf. New PRs sent after the Keycloak 16 release is out should have a corresponding GitHub Issue created.

The Keycloak project in JIRA will be made read-only to the community shortly after the Keycloak 16 release, and we will clean it up over time, with eventually all JIRAs either migrated to GH Issues, or closed.

Thomas Darimont

Nov 22, 2021, 3:38:14 PM11/22/21
to Stian Thorgersen, Keycloak Dev
Hello Stian,

How should Keycloak contributors refer to GH issues in commit messages?
"IssueNumber followed by the message" as in:
b17f0695ee - 8793 User Profile multiple implementations (8 days ago) <Martin Bartoš - maba...@redhat.com>

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Darimont

Nov 22, 2021, 3:46:35 PM11/22/21
to Stian Thorgersen, Keycloak Dev
Send too quickly...

I just grabbed this example from the latest commits:

The commit message is rather short: "8793 User Profile multiple implementations"

But the PR discussion contains some info and explicit issue references as well: https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/pull/8794

"""
Closes #8793
It also resolves KEYCLOAK-19704
"""

Is this the new suggested format to reference issues then?
-> Commit: IssueNumber followed by a brief commit message.
-> In PR: Reference the actual GH issue via Closes|Fixes #IssueNo
-> In PR: Reference a potential JIRA Issue in the known format

Cheers,
Thomas

Stian Thorgersen

Nov 23, 2021, 2:51:35 AM11/23/21
to Thomas Darimont, Keycloak Dev
See https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#contributing-to-keycloak

We'll just do the regular GitHub way (https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/linking-a-pull-request-to-an-issue) and use "Closes #1234" in the commit message. Adding it to the description, or prefixing the commit message with the GH issues number doesn't add any value.

Thomas Darimont

Nov 23, 2021, 3:32:26 AM11/23/21
to Stian Thorgersen, Keycloak Dev
Thanks for clarifying!

"Adding it to the description, or /prefixing the commit message with the GH issues number doesn't add any value/."

Well, I think this depends on the workflow. If you want to see which issues were fixed in the recent commits, then a short git log that shows commit messages with the issue numbers is quite helpful.
Without the issue number as prefix one needs to look into every commit message to find the actual issue number. This is quite tedious especially if one uses the console to look at commits.

Cheers,
Thomas

Stian Thorgersen

Nov 23, 2021, 7:24:54 AM11/23/21
to Thomas Darimont, Keycloak Dev
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 09:32, Thomas Darimont <thomas....@googlemail.com> wrote:
Thanks for clarifying!

"Adding it to the description, or /prefixing the commit message with the GH issues number doesn't add any value/."

Well, I think this depends on the workflow. If you want to see which issues were fixed in the recent commits, then a short git log that shows commit messages with the issue numbers is quite helpful.
Without the issue number as prefix one needs to look into every commit message to find the actual issue number. This is quite tedious especially if one uses the console to look at commits.

Why would you want that? If you're just listing the short commit messages the description is more important than the GH issue number. If you plan on looking at the GH issue then you can just open that commit in GitHub, which will link the the issue. Or, you just view the commit message for that particular commit that gives you the GH issue.

Would need a very good reason to require folks to add the GH issue twice to a commit.