Increased Typing Speed

Christoph M

Dec 28, 2020, 12:15:36 AM12/28/20
to keybr.com
Out of pure interest. Hast anyone really increased their typing speed by just using keybr.com

I type random "words", I have no clue if the program is really focussing on the keys I struggle with or if they just random words, because it doesn't tell me. Does it really focus on these areas?

Pluma Hoplita

Dec 28, 2020, 8:10:52 AM12/28/20
to keybr.com
Yes, I managed to increase from 50 to 60 wpm. To test always using Aesop from Typing test as meassurement. I also retook https://www.tippenakademie.de (there is an English version too) to practive more with specific fingers like: left hand & low row keys.

Though I am still stuck in 60 wpm, now I would like to try my own custom text and see if that gives me any improvement

Bice

Dec 28, 2020, 2:43:38 PM12/28/20
to keybr.com
Using strictly Keybr.com's available interface will likely not provide you with a drastic increase in speed.  This depends on the time you contribute toward practicing in the first place.  Personally, I find Keybr's 'Practice' section to be lack luster compared to their Legacy variant, furthermore 'Multiplayer' at least gives incentive to its users to burst or amass more momentum just to partake.  It's easy for any stereotypical typist to get bored staring at a solo typing test all day long, and eventually you'll get accustomed to that formula alone whereas the rest of your typing capacity that isn't being tested will suffer.  We're not meant to focus on one avenue for typing just to breed results, whether it's doing a generalized typing test or one you composed yourself.  For example, if you sat in a chatroom all by yourself and incessantly typed the same sentence over and over (let's say 15 words) and you manage to notice you're exponentially becoming faster at typing that specific line, you'll also find out that the remainder of your muscle memory will be diminished by that.  I'd recommend Multiplayer to anybody who comes on Keybr for the sake of improvement, but at least 80% of the users here don't give a flying fuck about improving in realistic terms.  They don't do the actual work required, encounter the same dilemmas, and likely will maybe be within their same speed bracket roughly for most of their lives.  I've been seeing a "David Martin" come on in the Multiplayer section for years, and I don't believe for one solitary seconds that any recordings I have would suggest he's made any actual improvement, same thing for Federico Figueroa.  But hey, don't take my word for it, I'm the only person who comes on this site to the Multiplayer section that REGULARLY does 700-800's in CPM while actually sticking around longer than 30+ minutes to do so.  Keybr's Multiplayer should be focused on just like Typeracer's, not their lame-brain 'Practice' section which ignores countless submissions all the time and has some junky ill-formatted scoreboard which makes zero sense. 90% of the people posting here trying to give tips aren't even phenomenal typists themselves, they're in no position to attempt to even preach what constitutes the making of a great typer.  If someone can't even type in the 120 WPM range it's heavily probable they have no real wisdom to contribute to your typing development.

Broaden your approach to typing as much as humanly possible, a linear path will generate linear outcomes.  None of us greater typists achieved our speed over night, it took years of avid dedication while remaining open-minded.  More than half of what you'll read here is counterintuitive, baseless, and comes from a lack of experience overall.  There's very few suggestions or questions here that're posed that receive an actual response or answer that's actually relevant.  If you just want to practice and not race, then use Typeracer's version instead, otherwise if you're trying to race then use the Multiplayer here or on Typeracer, cause the 'Practice' category here is hot garbage with the worst registry on the planet.

Christoph M

Dec 28, 2020, 3:40:52 PM12/28/20
to keybr.com
Thanks for your replies. Actually, I thought that keybr.com would focus on my weaknesses, e.g. it measures that I always have problems when letter A follows letter B and hence includes more words where this pattern appears. However, this might be, or this might not be, because it doesn't tell me. But using keybr.com for about a week now, I think that my progress is solely due to increased concentration or knowledge of some of the "words". In this case, the app wouldn't make much sense. I mean, it's beautifully made, no doubt but it wouldn't help me to improve.

I am looking for a program that analysis my weaknesses and then gives me exercises that help me to overcome these weaknesses. I tried some apps and don't think something like this exists.

But like you wrote, the best approach is probably to type texts and become faster.

Hari Pisupati

Dec 30, 2020, 10:35:35 AM12/30/20
to keybr.com
Oh yes. I had a measly ~25 wpm before, now its a good 65 avg. I occasionally use typingacademy for practice as well. But keybr has dark mode which is useful for focused practice for longer durations. I still struggle with capitals and punctuation, and I'm working on it.

Matt Joyce

Aug 25, 2021, 7:42:58 AM8/25/21
to keybr.com