We Need Colemak-DH

Dave in Napa

Dec 26, 2021, 5:09:03 PM12/26/21
to keybr.com
This has popped up in a few conversations in past months, but nothing seems to be happening.

I think that we've reached a majority (at least for new users learning) for Colemak-DH versus plain vanilla Colemak.

It would be really great if this could be added to the list.

...and if Colemak-DH is added, it would make sense to include 'flavors' for those using ANSI/ISO staggered keyboards vs Matrix or ortholinear.

If I understand correctly, DH-Angle Mod is the the same as DH-Matrix (DHm), which would be preferable for those with ISO keyboards... but poses a slight problem with ANSI keyboards with one less key on the left side of the bottom row.

There are several ways to handle an ANSI/staggered keyboard, such as shifting ALL fingers to the right by one to introduce a new column to the left, including Z at the bottom left.... or leave the home row as is, but move the Z over to the right of B of the bottom row, or reassigning left-shift to Z and assigning left-shift to caps-lock.

Examples of these alternate layouts are described really well at:

The bottom line is that we need to be able to programmatically choose specific key locations in keybr to match the specific keyboard we are planning to learn on.

Thanks!

Hobbes C

Feb 9, 2022, 5:11:40 AM2/9/22
to keybr.com
Just piling on. Colemak DHM support would be great.

Jackson Eatchel

Mar 28, 2022, 7:05:43 PM3/28/22
to keybr.com
Came to this forum just to say this same thing. Please add Colemak-DH!

Crackify

Jul 4, 2022, 9:45:47 AM7/4/22
to keybr.com
Came here it say the same. It's been a while since this issue was raised. Not sure why we have not at least gotten a response from the dev.

Art Tosborvorn

Aug 15, 2022, 1:46:17 AM8/15/22
to keybr.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the sequence of the letters in keybr are the same regardless of the keyboard layout you choose. That is, if you're training on QWERTY or Colemak or Dvorak, the sequence will always be ENITRLSAUODYCHGMPBKVWFZXQJ. As a result, the only change Colemak DH needs is the *graphical* keyboard down below, which I doubt many people bother looking at. If you want to change the keys below, simply follow the directions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Colemak/comments/meicic/colemak_dh_on_keybrcom/

Fergus

Aug 16, 2022, 7:53:06 AM8/16/22
to keybr.com
I think maybe a different sequence for each keyboard layout might actually be a good idea? Getting your fingers oriented one at a time :D

Art Tosborvorn

Aug 16, 2022, 9:52:26 AM8/16/22
to keybr.com
Yeah I agree. I was just saying how, with the current setup, you don't really lose anything by not having Colemak DH layout as an option.