algorithm choosing key to focus on is broken

Erik Mikuš

Jun 21, 2021, 9:05:40 AM6/21/21
to keybr.com
At first, it kept giving me the L (which is a hard to reach key on dvorak so it will naturally be a little slower) until at some point it decided that it'd start giving me new keys. Way too quickly. I got through all letters, and each time a new key was added, I was pretty quick to pick it up. However, one of the previous keys always got very bad. See the included screenshot.
Screenshot_2021-06-21_14-57-07.png
As you can see, as soon as one key was added, the previous one, or one even before that, got much worse. An ideal algorithm would have detected that and let me practice that key more. Now I'm at the end and my speed/accuracy is far from perfect, but now it says "Current key: No Key", even though there are clearly still keys I have difficulty with. I am currently at around 40 wpm, and this service is not any more useful than any of the other ones anymore. I'll be looking elsewhere.

Alexander Federlin

Oct 31, 2021, 4:48:16 PM10/31/21
to keybr.com
Did you find any alternatives? I'm still on my first 6 letters and so far I have not found any other program /service which would let me phase in the keys one by one...?

BTW, at what WPM does keybr.com add new letters? I around 30-odd WPM with the 6 letters I have now and eagerly waiting for the next key...

Erik Mikuš

Oct 31, 2021, 5:28:32 PM10/31/21
to keybr.com
I believe the wpm at which it starts adding letters was 35 wpm. At least, that's what I remember when I looked around in the topics here at the time. Also, somewhere in settings there should be a slider that lets you manually add letters. I ended up giving up on training and just using the layout everyday for everything, and have gotten up to 80 wpm since then, which was also my old QWERTY speed (which has now dropped to 20 wpm, by the way).

My problem with the 35 wpm thing is that I had just reached that speed naturally and I didn't get slow enough when it added another key, so it just kept adding them despite my accuracy tanking. It took some conscious effort to focus more on accuracy and right now my accuracy is pretty much 100%, higher than it was on QWERTY.

Alexander Federlin

Nov 2, 2021, 4:30:02 PM11/2/21
to keybr.com
Thanks for the feedback!

Dzintars Klavins

Nov 25, 2021, 2:52:31 PM11/25/21
to keybr.com
Try to focus on the speed of pressing particular letter. Not the overall wpm. Keybr looks at the speed at which you typed the letter from the previous letter. For example, you are drilling letter `S`. You need to type word `its`. Keybr will measure the time at what you went from letter `t` to `s`. It does not care about your accuracy or total wpm. So... you can just type `i`, then stop and prepare for quick `ts` combo. And do this for every word in the test. You will gain the Confidence 1 really fast and this way you will unlock next letter.
IMHO Keybr algorithm is badly designed and too many people just stuck on a single letter eventually abandoning this service.
IMO it would be better if user could pick the letters to drill.

Arham Gada

Dec 2, 2021, 11:55:46 PM12/2/21
to keybr.com
Yes, I noticed this while I was practicing qwerty, it's really annoying, because I myself am not confindent with the key, but keybr is, they need algotrithm updating, in fact, even if they let us pick which keys to practice, I would still be happy