Call for Papers (CFP) - Bangalore Linux Kernel Meetup (16th March 2024)

Allen Pais

Jan 31, 2024, 8:42:11 PMJan 31
to Kernel Meetup Bangalore
Linux Kernel Enthusiasts,

We are excited to announce the Call for Papers (CFP) for the upcoming Linux Kernel Meetup,
where developers, contributors, and enthusiasts come together to share knowledge and insights into
the exciting world of Linux kernel development.

CFP Submission Details:

We invite you to submit talk proposals on a wide range of Linux kernel subsystems and related topics.
This is your opportunity to share your expertise, experiences, and innovations with the community.
To submit your proposal, kindly follow the guidelines below:

Submission Guidelines:

• Prepare a concise abstract (150-200 words) summarizing your proposed talk.
• Include a brief outline of the key points you intend to cover in your presentation.
• Specify the preferred duration of your talk:
• Regular Talk (25+5 minutes): A standard talk format with 25 minutes for the presentation and an additional 5 minutes for Q&A.
• Lightning Talk (10+5 minutes): A shorter, focused presentation format with 10 minutes for the presentation
and an additional 5 minutes for Q&A.
• Include a short bio highlighting your background and experience in Linux kernel development.

Topics of Interest:

• Memory Management
• Filesystems
• Networking
• Security
• Virtualization
• Power Management
• Device Drivers
• Tracing and Profiling
• Real-time Linux
• Containers and Container Orchestration with the Kernel
• Testing, Validation, and Tools:

Feel free to explore other areas relevant to the Linux kernel that you are passionate about!

Submission Process:

• Prepare a brief abstract and outline of your talk.
• Please submit your CFP to the mailing list for greater transparency and community engagement.
Submit your CFP by sending an email to [kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com <mailto:kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com>]

Important Dates:

• CFP Opens: February 1st, 2024
• CFP Closes: February 15th, 2024
• Schedule & Registration Open : 1st March 2024

We encourage all interested speakers to contribute to the discussion on the mailing list. For those planning to
attend the meetup, you can express your interest in specific talks by marking "+1" on the mailing list.

Let's make this Kernel Meetup an enriching experience for everyone! We look forward to your participation and contributions.

Best regards,

Team BLR Kernel Meetup

Prathu Baronia

Feb 1, 2024, 7:12:12 AMFeb 1
to Allen Pais, Kernel Meetup Bangalore
Hi Allen,

Here is my talk abstract:-

Title: Design of the Linux Percpu Allocator

and their common usage scenarios and then will quickly move on to the
design overview of the percpu allocator and how it manages the in-kernel
and external module static/dynamic percpu allocations for a UP and SMP-NUMA
system.
I will cover the essential linker magic and also significant optimizations
like `this_cpu_ops`. I will touch upon some major milestones in the
history of percpu variables and its allocator.
Most of this material is generic but some of it will be from an
`arm64` standpoint because of my background. This will include relevant
parts of generic NUMA support inside the kernel which is used by arm64.

Preferred Duration: 25+5 mins
Bio:
Been a Linux user for 8 years and started diving in kernel 4 years back. I
am interested in core kernel subsystems. Worked on mm, kernel stability,
arm64 instruction benchmarks, and proprietary cpu firmware as part of my
jobs at Oneplus and Qualcomm.
---
- Prathu

Praveen Kumar

Feb 2, 2024, 8:11:15 AMFeb 2
to Prathu Baronia, Allen Pais, Kernel Meetup Bangalore
Thanks Prathu!!

Folks,

Please spread words and make this a very impactful and learning meetup.
I highly encourage everyone to please propose your talks. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

~Praveen.

Allen Pais

Feb 7, 2024, 10:28:58 PMFeb 7
to Kernel Meetup Bangalore

Fellow Hackers,

I hope this email finds you well. Following our recent Call for Proposals (CFP) for the upcoming Kernel Meetup, we wanted to reach out and encourage you to consider contributing talks or lightning talks to make our event even more diverse and insightful.

Please note that the final date for submissions is approaching, and we kindly request all interested participants to submit their proposals by 15th February 2024. This deadline ensures that we can carefully review all submissions and curate a program that reflects the breadth of knowledge within our community.

If you have any questions or need assistance with the submission process, please don't hesitate to reach out. We believe that your contribution could significantly enhance the quality of our event, and we look forward to the possibility of featuring your talk at the Kernel Meetup.

Thank you for considering this opportunity, and we appreciate your ongoing support for our community.

Best regards,

Team BLR Kernel Meetup

On Jan 31, 2024, at 5:42 PM, Allen Pais <allen....@gmail.com> wrote:

Linux Kernel Enthusiasts,

mintu patel

Feb 11, 2024, 9:04:51 AMFeb 11
to Allen Pais, kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen,

Here is my talk synopsis:-

Title: Design of framework for tracing rt_spinlock on RT Linux

The talk would start with a short introduction of RT Linux. Later I would discuss the motivation/need for designing a framework for tracing rt_spinlock
on RT Linux considering the current issue on tracing of rt_spinlock.

I will talk further on detailed design of framework and high level implementation.

Design and Development review status by RT Linux maintainer Community

Sample traces and their analysis.

Preferred Duration: 25+5 mins
Bio: Been Linux kernel developer for 8 years in multiple domains: Automotive, Handheld device, Networking Device as a part
of jobs at Harman International, CDAC Hyderabad, Zebra Technologies,
I am interested in working on core kernel subsystems and RT Linux development.

Thanks and Regards,
Mintu Patel

radhey pandey

Feb 12, 2024, 10:01:31 AMFeb 12
to Allen Pais, kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen,

Here is my talk synopsis:-

Title: Talk on linux upstreaming process and embedded Linux debugging methodology

- Explain the Linux upstreaming process/need.
- Submitting patch guidelines. Discuss on common errors and how to reduce upstream submission iterations.
- Upstreaming tools. Minimal checklist to run for each submission.
- LKP test integration. https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests

ARM Embedded Linux debugging
- Debugging methodology
- First isolate and triage if the issue is related to the Linux kernel.
- Ensure memory test (CONFIG_MEMTEST) is passing.-
- Experiment with single CPU (maxcpus=1), Disable PM  (CONFIG_PM) etc
- Try with minimal DTS – keep only core drivers enabled. Helpful for random issues.
- Test with the latest mainline/LTS kernel.
- Depending on the problem using appropriate tools (oops, minimal system, tracers, gdb etc)

Preferred Duration: 25+5 mins
Bio: Been a Linux kernel developer for 12 years in the embedded domain.
Worked on video, ethernet, dmaengine, and USB drivers.  I am a co-maintainer for the AMD-Xilinx
linux tree and also support/maintain AMD-xilinx AXI Ethernet driver, AXI DMA, and AMD-Xilinx USB
drivers in the mainline kernel.

Thanks,
Radhey

iso morphik

Feb 12, 2024, 10:27:07 AMFeb 12
to Kernel Meetup Bangalore
Hello All,

Here is my talk abstract,

Abstract: Characterization of CPU Bandwidth Controller scaling aspects

In this work, we define scaling in terms of its significance to the CPU bandwidth controller,
how it translates into replicas, and the interfaces for hard and soft limits in Kubernetes/OpenShift platforms.
We will explore the costs associated with implementing bandwidth control mechanisms at the kernel level,
identify when it leads to performance regression in our workloads, and analyze how these costs scale
with various system scaling aspects. This work is primarily focused on the vertical scaling aspects of the system.

Outline
- Brief overview of the CPU Bandwidth Controller and related interfaces available in Kubernetes/OpenShift
- Overview of scaling in Kubernetes/OpenShift
- Experiments conducted to identify contention points
- Results

Preferred Duration: 10 + 5mins

Regards,
Vishal Chourasia

Vinod Koul

Feb 12, 2024, 11:08:43 PMFeb 12
On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 1:42 AM Allen Pais <allen....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Linux Kernel Enthusiasts,
>
> We are excited to announce the Call for Papers (CFP) for the upcoming Linux Kernel Meetup,
> where developers, contributors, and enthusiasts come together to share knowledge and insights into
> the exciting world of Linux kernel development.

> Important Dates:
>
> • CFP Opens: February 1st, 2024
> • CFP Closes: February 15th, 2024

Folks, reminder CFP closes on 15th, please get your submissions in
before the deadline

--
~Vinod

Pankaj Patil