[Kern Meetup Blr] CFP: Thermal Management - Keeping devices Cool :)

Sumeet Pawnikar

May 31, 2024, 10:03:41 AMMay 31
to kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Here's my talk proposal for the June 29th,2024 Kernel meetup.

Thanks,
Sumeet.

Topic:     Thermal Management - Keeping devices Cool :)

Abstract:
  • In this session I will go through the overview of thermal management and its framework in the linux kernel. We plan to discuss various control knobs and thermal policies along with configuration settings in Bootloader/Device Tree. Explain the few thermal debug tools and techniques. Also, describe the other open thermal issues and get feedback from the forum along with existing thermal framework limitations.
Outline:
  • A brief introduction on Thermal Management in Linux Kernel
  • An Overview of Thermal Framework : Governors, Sensors, Zones, Cooling devices and Trip points
  • Various control knobs of Thermal Framework : CPU Freq, GPU Freq, Fan, and many more
  • Other possibilities - Battery, Brightness, FPS control
  • Different Thermal Policies for different purpose
  • Examples of thermal settings in Bootloader/DeviceTree
  • RAPL (Running Average Power Limit) and Thermal correlation
  • Thermal debug Tools : Tmon and Tracing
  • Describe the other open thermal issues and get feedback from the forum
  • Limitations of existing thermal framework
  • Reference : documentation
Talk Preference:  Regular Talk [~25 mins]