[CFP] sched-scoreboard or: How I learned to stop worrying and debug scheduling issues

Prateek Nayak

May 29, 2024, 11:42:36 PMMay 29
to kernel-meet...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Here is my talk proposal for the June 29th meetup. Please forgive the
formatting (or lack thereof) since I'm sending this from my phone.

Regards,
Prateek
--

Title: sched-scoreboard or: How I learned to stop worrying and debug
scheduling issues.

Presenters: K. Prateek Nayak

Abstract: In this live demo, we will take a look at how to debug a real
world scheduler problem with sched-scoreboard [1]. The demo will cover
the usage of the tool to monitor a workload, interpreting the reports
generated from the run, and neat little data processing tricks to make
it easier to narrow down the search space. We will breakdown reports
from a real world EEVDF regression [2], link the observation to the
implementation details, and ways of reporting the details back to the
scheduler community.

Outline:
- A demo of sched-scoreboard while running a workload and a look at the
  reports generated.
- Data processing tricks adopted along the way to make the analysis
  easier.
- Comparing reports for a workload that showed regression with the
  Introduction of EEVDF scheduling strategy.
- A carefree stroll through the task wakeup path to correlate the
  observation for above.
- Steps to use the data to help guide the patch authors or propose
  solutions upstream yourself.