CFP: Understanding KVM and Virtualization on ARM64

Yuvraj Sakshith

May 19, 2024, 2:48:40 PMMay 19
to Kernel Meetup Bangalore
  1. Title - Understanding KVM and Virtualization on ARM64
  2. Abstract - The ARMv8-A architecture and its successors provide elegant extensions for implementing virtualization. In this talk, we explore how hypervisors work internally and manage guest operating systems with total isolation by virtualizing memory, interrupts, timers, etc. Once this foundation has been laid, we will discuss Linux KVM’s internals and its coordination with userspace applications such as QEMU and lkvm.
  3. Outline
  • Exception levels
  • Execution states
  • Virtualizing Interrupts
  • Virtualizing Memory
  • Generic Interrupt Controller
  • Virtualizing the Generic Timer
  • Virtualization Host Extensions (VHE)
  • KVM - Split mode virtualization (nVHE)
  • KVM - Startup initialization
  • KVM - arm64 module initialization
  • KVM - ioctls
  • KVM - Handling traps