Graph Neural Networks in Keras

Patrick Reiser

Aug 26, 2023, 6:32:28 AM8/26/23
to Keras-users
Hello,

I am working with Graph Neural Networks in science and research.
Graph neural networks have gained a lot of attention in recent years.
I have started to work with batched graphs in the style of keras by creating kgcnn (https://github.com/aimat-lab/gcnn_keras) some time ago.
Of course this was my first attempt in preparing general modules in a library style and there is much I would improve on in a second iteration, especially on the backend and data loading part.
I would like to ask the keras developers, if there is a Keras-Graph or Keras-GNN similar to Keras-CV or Keras-NLP planned in the future?
An implementation within Keras-Core sounds very intriguing.
If yes then I am happy to contribute.

Thanks

Francois Chollet

Aug 26, 2023, 3:35:35 PM8/26/23
to Patrick Reiser, Keras-users
Hi Patrick,

Nice work with KGCNN!

> I would like to ask the keras developers, if there is a Keras-Graph or Keras-GNN similar to Keras-CV or Keras-NLP planned in the future?

There's TF-GNN, which might as well be called Keras-GNN since it's entirely based on the Keras API.

> An implementation within Keras-Core sounds very intriguing.

TF-GNN is likely going to be TF-only for the foreseeable future, due to its fundamental reliance on `tf.ExtensionTypes` for custom graph types. If you want to start something that works with JAX and PyTorch as well, there's definitely an opportunity there.

Best,

Francois

Patrick Reiser

Aug 28, 2023, 2:22:21 AM8/28/23
to Keras-users
Hello,
thank you very much for your fast answer.
Okay I understand, I think I would like to start something that works with JAX and PyTorch as well.
Thanks
Patrick

Patrick Reiser

May 28, 2024, 4:29:54 AMMay 28
to Keras-users
Hello,

I just saw that keras is merging NLP and CV into a models repo.
If there is interest from the keras team to also include GNNs, I am happy to contribute or become involved.
I reworked KGCNN for keras 3 and it works nicely. Ideally I would have removed lots of the clutter but I tried to stay backward compatible.
Just using BatchDataLoader compatible to PyG and disjoint graph representation seems to be the most elegant approach also for keras.

Best regards,
Patrick