Indian Farmer Suicides - Peepli Live at Berlin International Film Festival

Nagarjuna

Feb 18, 2010, 7:35:43 AM2/18/10
to കേരള ഫാര്‍മേഴ്സ്‌
Bollywood star Aamir Khan's production venture Peepli Live, a strong
satire on farmers' suicides in India, received a hearty reception at
the press screening during the ongoing Berlin International Film
Festival.Directed by Anusha Rizvi, the film, screened in the Berlinale
Special section - part of the official selection of the Berlin
festival - will also be screened at the Cinema Paris here.
"It feels great to be selected for the prestigious Berlin film
festival. I went to a screening this morning and the audience was
fabulous. They are so dedicated to film, they're just something else!
I can't wait for my screening," Rizvi told IANS.
She plays down how she got Aamir to produce her first film: "Oh, I
just sent him an e-mail and he read my script and said yes," she said.
Tom Luddy, co-director of the Telluride film festival, lauded the film
as "a splendid film from India that reminds me of Billy Wilder's 'Ace
in the Hole'."
The film has arrived in Berlin after being screened in the competition
section at the Sundance Film Festival.
Rizvi's debut film mounts a savage attack on the media and
politicians' response to farmers' suicides. In this, it has resonances
of Oscar winner Danis Tanovic's No Man's Land, but it is powerfully
rooted in Indian reality.
The film boasts a strong script, great performances by Raghuvir Yadav
and a largely local cast and razor sharp editing. There is no doubt
that 2010 is seeing an explosion of cinematic talent and Rizvi's film
is proof of that. It is also significant that a Bollywood actor would
produce a small budget arthouse film without stars and dances.
The story focuses on two poor farmers, Natha and Budhia, who are at
the end of their tether, unable to pay their debts. When the local
politician refuses to help, they learn that they could benefit from a
government scheme that would pay compensation in case a farmer
committed suicide.
They sense that a dead farmer is more use to the family than a living
one. A journalist overhears their discussion, and this triggers a
vicious media frenzy with live streaming news and polls as to whether
or not Natha will commit suicide. The film tackles caste, class,
politics and media in an explosive cocktail.
Rizvi, who has a television background, sharply etches the politics of
TV media, their rivalries, the hierarchy between English and regional
media and how urban journalists exploit rural journalists.