First World Freedom Third World IMF Wisdom - Liability for Nuclear Accidents in India

Nagarjuna

Mar 9, 2010, 3:40:46 AM3/9/10
to കേരള ഫാര്‍മേഴ്സ്‌
First World Freedom Third World IMF Wisdom - Liability for Nuclear
Accidents in India
http://www.greenpeace.org/india/stop-the-vote/?no_cache
Dear ,

Our government is churning out one hazardous bill after another. This
time it is a bill called the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage, and
it's coming up for a vote in a couple of days.[1]

The bill lets U.S. corporations off the hook for any nuclear accidents
they cause on Indian soil. They'd only have to pay a meagre amount,
and Indian taxpayers would be stuck paying crores for the nuclear
clean up and to compensate the victims.[2]

Without any public debate, the Prime Minister is appeasing American
interests and ignoring our safety. The Parliament is planning to vote
on the bill this week, so we're launching an emergency petition.

Can you sign this petition asking the PM to hold a public consultation
before taking a decision on this dangerous bill?

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/stop-the-vote/

The petition says: "India must hold a public consultation before
changing the liability rules for any nuclear accidents caused by U.S.
corporations."

The cost of clearing up a nuclear disaster could be enormous—far more
than we experienced during the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. Yet our leaders
have set a compensatory amount lower than the one set for the Bhopal
tragedy.

After 25 years, the survivors of the gas leak in Bhopal are still
fighting for justice and the companies involved are evading liability.
With nuclear plants, the situation becomes graver and it is dangerous
to pass a bill with constraints on liabilities.

American corporations cannot reap profits without responsibility. If
tens of thousands of us sign this petition before the vote, we'll show
our elected leaders we oppose this bill:

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/stop-the-vote/

Thanks a billion!

Photo of Karuna Raina
Karuna Raina
Nuclear Campaigner
Greenpeace India

Sources:
1. "Clouds loom over nuclear liability bill," 3Dsyndication.com, March
7, 2010 http://www.3dsyndication.com/showarticle.aspx?displaytype=n&nid=DNMUM165053

2. "Nuclear Liability Bill ignores Finance, Environment Ministries'
objections," The Hindu, March 8, 2010
http://www.thehindu.com/2010/03/05/stories/2010030557440100.htm