Rate limits on Docker Hub might affect Keptn installations

Juergen Etzlstorfer

Oct 30, 2020, 12:48:11 PM10/30/20
to Keptn
Hello Keptn community!

As some of you might have already heared, Docker Hub (the container registry where our Keptn images as well as  the examples images are hosted) is introducing a pull limit for 100 pulls per 6 hours for unauthenticated users (by IP address).
This will happen on November 2nd, so next week.

When installing Keptn on Kubernetes, the Kubernetes cluster pulls Docker images from Docker Hub. At the moment, this ranges from from 10 to 18 Docker images, depending on your installation method and 3rd-party services you install.

We are aware of the situation and will monitor it, but for now, we are afraid to tell you that you might see ImagePullBackOff errors when installing and/or using Keptn when you are running into the rate-limit.

If you're using a cluster in Google Cloud, AWS, Azure, etc... (basically everything that has its own public IPv4 address), you might not see this problem at all. However, if you are trying to install Keptn locally (e.g., on a cluster within your companys network, or on your localhost using k3s, Microk8s, Minikube, KIND, ...) you will sooner or later run into this issue if you constantly pull images from Docker Hub.

Have a great weekend and please let us know if you run into any issues!