Large falcons

Adam Whitehouse (EMR)

May 20, 2016, 4:31:31 AM5/20/16
to Kent Birders

I’ve been seeing what I presume is a Peregrine locally in recent days, not a common bird for my patch, but watching it in flight this morning, and in good light, it had noticeably brown upperparts and just looked really, really heavy set, even for a Peregrine.  Unfortunately it’s often very distant so the plates in Collins of perched birds don’t help!  I’m wondering if it’s an escaped falconer’s bird (no sign of jesses though), Lanner or Saker possibly, but I have no experience of either of those species and wondered if anyone had failsafe tips on ‘jizz’ that might help distinguish between these and Peregrine in the field, particularly in flight?

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential or privileged information which are intended for the addressee only. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised and any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken or reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the named addressee or the person responsible for delivering the message to the named addressee, please delete the email and any attachments and contact: enquiries:emr.ac.uk For any information about NIAB EMR or for a copy of the Terms of Business, please contact +44 (0)1732 843833 or visit www.emr.ac.uk. NIAB EMR is a charitable company limited by guarantee | Registered in England : 09894859 | Registered Charity : 1165055. Registered office: NIAB EMR, Huntingdon Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom, CB3 0LE, UK.