Nightingale breeding sites.

Paul Larkin

May 16, 2016, 11:19:42 AM5/16/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com
There was some discussion, after the Chattenden proposals, as to how readily Nightingales would adopt newly constructed sites. I do most of my birding now in Essex and take the Gravesend ferry across and walk east along the sea wall. On the way to East Tilbury there are two landfill sites, the first, just past the power station, is still being topped off with soil. The sea wall there is mainly rank grass but one section has some low lying scrub not more than 12m X 5m and, for the last three years, a nightingale has held territory there. Elsewhere, at East Tilbury itself, for the second year running, another bird has held a territory next to a housing estate, sandwiched between the gardens and an arable field. Of course I don't know how successful these birds have been but one assumes they would not return if not. Given the unprepossessing nature of these sites it may be that Nightingales may be more adaptable than perhaps we give them credit for.

Paul