Nightjar

Paul

Jun 24, 2016, 6:24:08 PM6/24/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com

Having worked in Kings Wood with my son, we have been going past an area that I felt was prime Nightjar area, this evening on my way back from Ashford I walked in to the site within about 15 minutes, once at the site I had two bats buzz around my head, as the light started to fade, and was greeted by my first sighting of Nightjar for a few years, but did not see any Woodcock that previously have always been seen before any nightjars appeared. The Bird flew around the coppiced area landing and cheerrring from the boundary tree tops, feeding in sweeping swoops and climbing with wing beats covering the tree tops, at one point the bird hawked within 20 yards of me, well worth the effect, I should do it more often. It seemed to be announcing to all on comers that this was his domain. Maybe I should check out the other area soon to see if the woods are being used by other nightjars, in the past I’ve lost count of the nightjar in this wood, hopefully with the increase in coppice taking part now their numbers will bounce back. There was a Tawny calling but did I not see it. There is one very large block that we helped to cut that  will be prime in 3 years time for these glorious birds.

Paul Cumberland

Faversham.