Shellness - 16th August

Richard Elvy

Aug 16, 2016, 2:20:24 PM8/16/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com

Hallo All,

I thought the weather forecast might be favourable for Black Terns and made another visit to Shellness.I saw 118 .mostly coming in from the NE and continuing high up The Swale. With 115

Comic Terns and 32 Sandwich it was a good day for Terns, There were also 20 Arctic Skuas those close enough were mostly dark birds.

The only other species moving were Sand Martins going out E and SE and c 150 Scoters coming down from the N, those close enough being mostly adult drakes,

I didn't have time to look at the wader roost and at this time of year there are always walkers,  with or without, dogs.so some disturbance is inevitable, not as bad as last time though when the

 roost was ''dive bombed' by a light plane. I must admit it was quite impressive to see about 2500 Oystercatchers and 1000 Curlews milling about.

There were 3 Porpoises including a small one presumably a young one. The big surprise though was a whale blow, [ I have never seen a Porpoise blow] It was straight up and I reckoned about

1.5 metres high. It was a good way out but I should think the sea off Shellness is dangerously shallow for any whale,

                                                                                 Dick Elvy

Kevin Thornton

Aug 17, 2016, 9:01:05 AM8/17/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dick,

I never hold much hope here on the Medway in clear conditions (and didn't bump into movement on my couple of jaunts out y/day), but did have groups of both Sandwich and Black Terns cutting inland, a kilometre or so south from the seawall.

Kevin