Paul Larkin

Apr 26, 2016, 11:57:03 AM4/26/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com
All,

We have a small (and getting smaller) group of field mice that come to our feeders. This year the local Magpies have discovered them and have become very adept at catching them. They sit on the fence and, when the mice emerge for a few seconds to steal some seed dropped by the birds, they pounce at lightening speed, grab one, stun it on the fence rail, and fly off, presumably to the nestlings. Amazingly quick for such a large bird. BWP mentions "occasional" small vertebrates as Magpie prey but this pair seems to have taken a liking to our mice! Not the most loved of birds but one of my favourites and, I think, much maligned. Still I may have to step in if this carries on for too long!

Has anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

Paul

Paul

Apr 26, 2016, 12:44:30 PM4/26/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com
With mice I had White Crested Laughing Thrush that kept the mice out of the aviary often catching then once they had run through the 1/2 inch my 1 inch wire mesh. Glossy Starling were less successful but did attempt to capture mice. Had an interesting story of mice eating bird seed that had been stored in a Barn Owls sleeping quarters, the owls never ate the mice only dead day old chicks.
Other bird feasts on creatures witnessed have been a good hour watching a grey heron reducing the newt population at Oare Marsh, and a Kestrel tackling the common lizards with much success around a wood stack when I assume they were feeding young, for youngsters were seen a couple of weeks later, although the lizards are at present still there.

Paul
Faversham

Discussion contents reflect the views of individual participants only. Kent-Birders and its owners and managers bear no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. Your membership of this group implies agreement not to use any obscene or offensive language or to place on Kent-Birders any material that is libelous, abusive, or hateful, constitutes junk mail or unauthorized advertising, invades anyone's privacy, or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any national or international law or regulation. Members posting in an unacceptable way will be warned that this could mean their exclusion from the mailing group... or the moderation of their future postings.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Kent Birders" group.

Paul Larkin

Apr 27, 2016, 7:58:00 AM4/27/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com
Bo,

You beat me to it! Just the extension of the argument I was going to make.

Again "an acknowledged" pest species is another human perception, and of course there are those pushing for Buzzard and Sparrowhawk to be designated the same. I can understand Derek's attitude as he likes his songbirds but please don't suggest there is any logic to it, I can't stick Puffins and Avocets but I understand those who do (kind of :-))

Paul

Paul Larkin

Apr 27, 2016, 5:45:33 PM4/27/16
to kent-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure there is an island on the Essex coast that is connected by a causeway where Reds have been reintroduced, can't remember where though. As for Grey, alien species, eradicate.

Paul

On 27 Apr 2016, at 10:59, Bo Beolens <fatb...@gmail.com> wrote:

...given that Anglesea has reds... couldn't there be an elimination=20
campaign on Sheppey followed by re-introduction of reds... I actually=20
saw a red squirrel in Kent in my youth wouldn't it be great to have them=20
back! I imagine that given the marshes around the entrance to the=20
bridges it would be relatively easy to stop greys getting back on the=20