Matrix_ks Stopped Working!

Vladimir Grey

Mar 17, 2015, 12:36:45 AM3/17/15
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
Mr. Kelly let me start off by saying you have made the most incredible Matrix SS out there.
Now to the problem at hand, I have been using your SS for over a year now without a problem on a single 1080p monitor,
on Windows 7 64-bit. One unfortunate day I saw an error message that I never expected to see "Matrix_ks has stopped working"
At first I thought nothing of it, glitches happen, drivers crash etc etc. So I try to preview the SS in Personalization options, Same story  "Matrix_ks has stopped working".
After restarting the computer, same message is given upon attempting to run or configure the SS. I even tried reinstalling completely along with removing everything i could find related in the registry.
Still refuses to work! :(     Any ideas? oh running version 3.6

kshipp

Mar 17, 2015, 12:46:37 AM3/17/15
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
VG,
Thanks for the comments/compliments.
It's not the OS.  It runs fine on Win7 64-bit.
Overall, my guess is that something is corrupt with the screensaver file. Your main drive may have had a hiccup, or the uninstall may not have removed the file if Windows had it locked? because the process may had been locked.

Try this:
1)..Make sure the screensaver isn't running (run Task Mgr).
2)..Uninstall the screensaver.
3)..Run regedit and if any keys exists in this path, remove them:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Matrix_ks .
4)..Reboot (just because it's Windows).
5)..Go to c:\windows and if you find any files like Matrix_ks.* , delete them if you find any.
6)..Download the latest version from my website and install it.
7)..Run the screensaver "as is" first, just to get it to run before you start customizing it.

This should work well for a certain fresh start of the screensaver.

Vladimir Grey

Mar 19, 2015, 12:28:17 AM3/19/15
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
I've done what you said step by step as instructed. Unfortunately for reasons I cannot fathom it refuses to cooperate with me.
I took a screenshot of the error, here it is:http://puu.sh/gGi6g/601dd2d6d9.jpg I hope that helps.

kshipp

Mar 19, 2015, 12:34:59 AM3/19/15
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com

  If you've done all that, it confirms that the screen saver file is not likely corrupt.  Several things could be at fault and it'll be tricky knowing which is causing the problem.  Here are some possible culprits:
1)..Software conflict. You may have other software installed that is conflicting with the screensaver. Maybe it is writing to memory that doesn't belong to it, maybe belonging to the screensaver, causing it to crash.
2)..Bad memory.  It's possible to have a bad memory chip which could cause problems, but you would probably be seeing this beyond just the operation of this screensaver.
3)..Antivirus-related conflict. You may have antivirus software running that is trying to monitor/close the screensaver.  Rare, but it's possible.
4)..Think back to the time when the screensaver was working fine and try to determine what software/hardware updates/additions you have added since then.

Here's something to try:
Start your system in safe mode (or normally, but close/shut down almost everything running), to guarantee nothing could possibly conflict, then start the screensaver.  From your screenshot, it looks like you have a lot of customization (custom desktop, etc), which could easily be an issue with a screensaver.