Can't seem to get vertical monitor setup to work - Any suggestions on what else I should try?

tron

Mar 30, 2013, 1:43:06 AM3/30/13
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
First - Kelly - Thanks for a great screensaver.

Here's my issue: I have a two monitor vertical setup. My main monitor (#1) is the lower monitor and #2 is stacked vertically above it.

DESIRED CONFIGURATION A:
Here's how this appears in Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution

MONITOR 2
MONITOR 1 (Main Display)

Both my monitors are set to 1280 x 1024 and I'm on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Here is my configuration info from the Monitor tab in the screensaver settings:

Left-most position: 0
Right-most position: 1280
Start Height position: -2048
Total Height: 2048

If I use the above, the screensaver only appears on monitor 2

CONFIGURATION B:
Here's how this appears in Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution

MONITOR 2
MONITOR 1 (Main Display)

I tried switching the above screensaver settings to:

Left-most position: 0
Right-most position: 1280
Start Height position: 0
Total Height: 1024

This as expected, results in the screensaver only appearing on monitor 1 (my main monitor on the bottom)

CONFIGURATION C:
I can get it to appear on both 1 and 2 but only if i do the following:

Re-arranging the following in Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution

MONITOR 1 (Main Display)
MONITOR 2

And changing the screensaver settings to:

Left-most position: 0
Right-most position: 1280
Start Height position: 0
Total Height: 2048

This works, but causes a work flow issue as I can no longer move windows to my second monitor by moving them upwards (a more intuitive flow, as my second monitor is physically located above monitor 1). I have to instead move them downwards to get them to appear on the second monitor.

My question - I would really like to use configuration A or B outlined above and have the screensaver appear on both monitors. Is there anything I can adjust from the screensaver standpoint to allow for the same?

I looked at some of the other discussions in this group, but didn't have any luck finding a relevant suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

kshipp

Mar 30, 2013, 11:07:38 AM3/30/13
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
Vk,
Try your same settings in Config C, but leave your monitor configuration with your main monitor (1) below monitor 2.
So, use these settings:
Left-most position: 0
Right-most position: 1280
Start Height position: 0
Total Height: 2048

with this physical monitor config:
Monitor 2
Monitor 1 (main)

That should work.

Thanks,
Kelly

jpo...@tigertv.org

Dec 4, 2014, 10:10:56 AM12/4/14
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com
Any find a solution for this?  I am in the same boat.
4 monitors. 1280 x 1240
set up is:

3           4
1(main)  2

using left 0  right 5760  start 0  and total 2048

Only shows up on monitors 1 and 2

Jeff

kshipp

Dec 5, 2014, 12:03:26 AM12/5/14
to kelly-s...@googlegroups.com

First, you may try what has been posted here as an exercise to determine the best for your specific configuration:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kelly-software/5ezGtnDDB6c

Otherwise, let me give you my current config and set-up, and it may help you.  I have four monitors, three of them with the same resolution.
Mine are all at the same level, left to right.  The monitor numbers below are just how I happen to have them numbered in the display panel.
#3 (1600x1200), #2 (main monitor, 1920x1080), #4 (1920x1080), #1 (1920x1080).
Here's my config in the screensaver settings:
-1600, 7400, -120, 1210.

As you can see, my main monitor is the second to the left. Which means the start of the screensaver would need to be left of my main monitor, so I simply subtract the width of the first monitor resolution to determine my left-most starting position:  -1600.
The 7400 is simply the total of all widths, plus a little, just to round it off.
The -120 is just a tweak I like to do for the height and status bar at the top.
The 1210 is the height of the highest-height-resolution, plus 10 - just for tweaking.  The highest of mine is 1200 (the first monitor).

If my explanation is confusing, try looking at the link I provided. That post provides a simple starting approach that you can use as a starting point.

Timothy Dockery

Sep 1, 2019, 11:37:24 AM9/1/19
to Kelly Software
I realize this was posted a while ago so I'm not sure if you still need a solution or even care, but I have the same set up and used your problem to fix mine lol.
I used your Config A except I made Start Height position: -1024
So it looked like:

Left-most position: 0
Right-most position: 1280
Start Height position: -1024
Total Height: 2048

This has the screensaver covering all of both monitors for me.
I hope this helps! - If you still care :P

kshipp

Sep 1, 2019, 11:38:04 AM9/1/19
to Kelly Software

Thanks!
I'm sure others with the same set-up could benefit.