How to install on Mac

Joel Nisson

Dec 18, 2011, 7:40:21 AM12/18/11
to keep...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded Keepnote version for all platforms, but can't figure out how to install it on my Mac.  The INSTALL file doesn't help me.  Could someone please point me to specific instructions for installation on Mac running OS X 10.7.  Thanks.

Matt Rasmussen

Jan 2, 2012, 2:28:52 PM1/2/12
to keep...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,

To use KeepNote on mac you currently have to be a little unix savy
since I do not have a mac specific port available.

I currently use keepnote on mac using macports
(http://www.macports.org). You should be able to follow the
instructions on that page in order to install macports. Once
installed, you can then use the commands given in the INSTALL file to
install the necessary dependencies.

sudo port install py25-gtk aspell aspell-dict-en sqlite3

If you need any additional information, just let me know.

Matt

steve...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2012, 4:20:59 PM1/25/12
to keep...@googlegroups.com
Matt: Another stray naive Mac user thinking this is just what I'm looking for. Like Joel, I was a bit at a loss, and I find this year old post some comfort though I'm still a bit perplexed for lack of unix familiarity. If I install macports, which seems very straight forward, do I also need to download the 'dependencies' noted, or are they already on my underlying system so that I only need to try that in the command program? And then would I expect "keepNote" to appear in my applications folder? Thanks. As you can guess I might be best off exploring other options;-) Steve

destr...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2012, 2:06:36 PM2/19/12
to keep...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,

I am also using keepnote on mac (lion) and I followed instructions on the main page for the installation with the minor variation of using python 2.6 instead of 2.5 since with the latter keepnote did not work for me.

You need to install Xcode from the apple store. It is free but they require you to register.
This is the most time consuming part as it takes a bit to install it.

After that you need to install mac ports. You can follow instructions here:
http://www.macports.org/install.php

At this point you can install the packages listed in the keepnote main page with the command:
sudo port install python26
sudo port install sqlite
sudo port install py26-gtk
sudo port install gtkspell

Note that I did not test these commands since I installed it several months ago (and I still had snow leopard).

After that you need to use explicitly python2.6 to launch it. I created an alias:
alias keepnote='/opt/local/bin/python2.6 ~/Desktop/keepnote-0.7.4/bin/keepnote'

Let me know if you have problems!

dwaynek...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2014, 5:21:21 AM3/13/14
to keep...@googlegroups.com, destr...@gmail.com
HI destr...@gmail,

So I did the following to get everything installed on mac 10.9.2:

installed Xcode from the apple store

installed x11

Installed Mac Ports

Installed the Packages:

Sudo port install python26

To make python 2.6 the default (i.e. the version you get when you run 'python'),

please run:

sudo port select --set python python26

sudo port install sqlite3 (Installs in python26, so no need to install it)

sudo port install py26-gtk (changed to) sudo port install py26-pygtk

sudo port install gtkspell

I created an alias:

alias keepnote='/opt/local/bin/python2.6 ~/Application/keepnote-0.7.8/bin/keepnote'

and for God sake I still can't get the program to launch!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP